American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just racked this recipe to the secondary and had a taste. Great stuff! :rockin:
I can't wait to see how the dry hopping cascades effects the flavor.

:mug:

I brewed up 11 gallons on Saturday and it smells great! I did run into a little problem though. When I came home from the LHBS the bag broke open just as I was about to set it on the counter. Well one of the packs of orange got away from me. I forgot that I already had a pack of coriander from before that was on the counter so I mistakenly thought that I picked up an extra coriander by mistake at the store thinking it was orange. So I put the orange that I had in and also 1/2 oz of bitter orange that I had on hand. Of course when I was cleaning up later I found the missing orange pack!

So I decided on Sunday morning to boil up 2 cups of wort with DME and put the last pack of orange in that and boiled for 15 min then chilled strained and dumped into the fermenter. Since it’s a 11 gallon batch hopefully the bitter orange won’t show much

I still have a bunch of cascades saved up so will be giving this brew a try this week.

What is the Wyeast equivalent of Safale-04......

Awesome beer.....I made 10 gallons. I tapped it Feb 6th....by the 8th it was gone....EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!!!

I would like a little more orangeflavor...I think next time i will ad 4 oz of orange zest to try it.

I'm brewing this up this weeked, 5 gallon batch....ILOVEBEER, how much orange zest did you use, and when did you drop it into the boil?

Thx

I used 2 oz of zest (had to zest like 9 oranges to get it). I think that is what the recipe called for. I dropped it in with 10 mins left in the boil along with the Corriander

I did a 2.5 gallon batch of this, and zested two huge oranges to get the zest, but i still dont think it was enough to get the 1oz needed for the scaled down recipe.
Upon tasting after a little after a week in the primary, there is tons of nice grapefruit hints from the cascade, but no orange present :(
I'd imagine they might come through in time, so hopefully that is the case.

All of this lack of Orange makes me wonder. When I found my missing pack of orange I boiled it up in 2 cups or wort and the strained and dumped the wort into the fermenter. I then put the strained orange in a zip lock and threw it into the freezer. I wonder if it would give any additional flavor or aroma pitching the frozen/used orange into secondary. Guess I will have to take a gravity reading and sample it tonight.

I used the recommended amount of orange that the recipe calls for...I doubled everything since I brew 10 gallon batches.....I will add more next time...definitley one of my favorite beers I have made.

We've heard an awful lot about the orange in this brew, but has anyone been able to define the coriander? When I made it I was so hung up on the orange that I never even noticed the coriander.. My wife said she "thought" she could taste it, but I could never precisely taste it.. What about you guys? Do you taste it?

I taste a spice of something....not sure what it is.

I was thinking adding the 4oz of zest for the recommended 10 gallon batch I made plus adding an extra 2 oz for 6oz total.

We've heard an awful lot about the orange in this brew, but has anyone been able to define the coriander? When I made it I was so hung up on the orange that I never even noticed the coriander.. My wife said she "thought" she could taste it, but I could never precisely taste it.. What about you guys? Do you taste it?

It has sort of a spicy grapefruit thing going on when you grind it fresh. That's why I thought to include it in this recipe, as a compliment to the orange and Cascade flavors. Honestly I've never been able to cleanly taste it shining through, but I think it all mixes together well.

I filtered and kegged mine last night and it definitely has a strong orange taste upfront followed by the coriander finish. Reminds me of Blue Moon. I think that I got such a strong flavor from both since I lost one of the packs or orange while brewing so after I ground the coriander I put it back in the mortis and pestle with all the sweet orange and worked them again. I think working the orange really let the oils come out because it is ORANGE! Very nice flavor all around they are both strong but work very well together. I also filtered it and then dry hopped it so we will see how it turns out in a few weeks. :mug:

Bottled this one today. This is the first brew where instead of bottling the last few drops out of the bottling bucket (below the line of the spigot where hop residue sits) I drank down to the last drop from the bucket of flat beer! Awesome stuff even flat! On mine the Orange and Cascade hits you around about the same time so it makes it hard to separate the two but you can tell their are both there and the Coriander is in the aftertaste.

This is my second time making this...brewed it yesterday. I wanted more orange flavor. I hand zested 6 oz of orange (instead of the 4oz of pre packaged sweet orange from LHBS last time) and added it to the 1hr boil to get the most out of the orange oils. I'll post once I keg and taste...can't wait!!!!!!

Brewing this one right now... grains are mashing and sparge water is heating up. I'm trying to decide just how much orange to use for mine as well. I think I'm going to do 6oz as well for 10 gals.)

It's been so long since I've brewed (october) that I'm pretty much out of everything! Can't wait until this one is ready to drink.

I ended up doing 6oz, plus a little extra. SWMBO did the zesting, and she went a little nuts with it- I had almost a quart bowl full of zest! I did it in two additions, 2oz at the beginning of the boil and 4oz with 10 minutes left.

2010-02-28%2016.54.38.jpg

I actually used tangelos instead of oranges... they were both on sale for 99 cents per pound, and I thought the tangelos would be more interesting. Not sure how different the flavor will end up being.

This was the first time I used my new 15 gal brew pot:

2010-02-28%2016.54.16.jpg

It worked great, but I really need to put a valve on it... my back is killing me from hefting all this water around!

That brewpot is sweet! I'm working with a 10 gallon right now. I need to get a larger one so I can do 10 gallon batches.

That brewpot is sweet! I'm working with a 10 gallon right now. I need to get a larger one so I can do 10 gallon batches.

The picture doesn't really do it justice- I can almost get inside the thing it's so big in diameter. I actually bought it at a swap meet... there was a guy there selling huge tamale pots, but he also had some stainless ones. Of course they have no idea how many gallons it holds, so I had to actually get out my tape measure and calculator. :p

This was my first attempt at AG back in Dec. faulty thermometer had me miss the mash temp. Went in at over 165. So I made the best smelling 3.1 beer around

Going to attempt again on Friday, but running low on Cascade so going to mix in some Citra. Any thoughts?

Ok I think this is the best beer I've ever made. Combination of a good recipe, and finally getting my all grain setup nailed down. I'm going to be kegging this one after 3 weeks in primary, I'll post back again after that to report on how the amount of zest worked out.

Mine came out great. Kegged it. Neighbors liked it. I used real oranges since in my neighborhood we have so many we cant give them away(Glendora, CA). Used a potato peeler to get the outermost part of the skin with barely any white. I used a darker caramel 60L, but still came out great. I concur its a nice balance of orange and cascade hop flavor. Thanks for the Recipe.

Mine is still young but I pulled a pint last night and strong hop and coriander maybe just a bit too much coriander with just a hint of orange. It did have way more orange flavor before I dry hopped it. But again it has only been on the gas for a week so once the hops mellow out hopefully more of the orange will come back. Still a great beer.

This was my first attempt at AG back in Dec. faulty thermometer had me miss the mash temp. Went in at over 165. So I made the best smelling 3.1 beer around

Going to attempt again on Friday, but running low on Cascade so going to mix in some Citra. Any thoughts?

I recently made an IPA with 100% Citra that I was very happy with. Very fruity, perhaps even stronger than Cascades. Should be great!

Just carbonated the keg for my second batch. I used 6oz of raw orange zest I got from 9 oranges and threw them in at the 60 min boil to extract the most out of the orange zest.
I'll let you guys know how it turned out.

I'm wanting to brew this real bad, but thinking of only using half the amount or corriander. Last time I used that in a saison, it was too spicy for a few months before it mellowed out. I'm also going half cascade and half citra for dry hops. I'm calling it "Citra Blast Orange Pale Ale". Hope it turns out good. What's going to be the difference if i used -05 as opposed to -04?

HoppheadIPA,

Honestly you cant even taste the coriander.....at all (atleast I cant).

I just poured a pint of this brew. I brewed it 2/21 and used 1.75 oz. of fresh orange zest. It was about 10 medium size oranges, not sure what type. To be honest, the beer is good, really good hop flavor, but I don't taste any orange in there at all. I put the zest in with 5 mionutes remaining.......Anyone else have this problem using fresh zest. Maybe It wasn't in the boil long enough????

The beer is still very good though.....

I know i tried using fresh yest w/ another recipe and i ended up having to add more to the keg to bring out some orange. I've read on this board that you need at least twice as much fresh zest by weight when compared to using the dry stuff. I think you'd be safe with even more then twice as much...

edit: yest=zest

I know i tried using fresh yest w/ another recipe and i ended up having to add more to the keg to bring out some orange. I've read on this board that you need at least twice as much fresh zest by weight when compared to using the dry stuff. I think you'd be safe with even more then twice as much...

Also - by trial and error, I got the amount of orange to a level that I like, which is just a hint. If you want more orange flavor, you'll definitely need to up the addition.

Brewed this today. It was my 1st all grain. It went pretty well. Only difference I made was used 10lbs 2-row instead of 9lbs maris otter, and I also lessened the coriander a touch. I hit an OG of 1.059. I hope it turns out good.

wildduk,

I used 6oz of orange zest. IMHO I think this is the greatest beer I have made to date. It has a minor orange flavor (even with 6oz of zest @ the 60 min boil). This is for certain my forever house beer. I did do three different things:

-I used 6oz of fresh orange zest @ the 60 min boil (I wanted more orange flavor..got it)
-I used three packets of yeast Safale-04
-I used gelatin prior to cold crashing for 3 days

Other than that I doubled ingredients and used a little more water to fill 2 cornies to the top for an 10+ gallon batch

wildduk,

I used 6oz of orange zest. IMHO I think this is the greatest beer I have made to date. It has a minor orange flavor (even with 6oz of zest @ the 60 min boil). This is for certain my forever house beer. I did do three different things:

-I used 6oz of fresh orange zest @ the 60 min boil (I wanted more orange flavor..got it)
-I used three packets of yeast Safale-04
-I used gelatin prior to cold crashing for 3 days

Other than that I doubled ingredients and used a little more water to fill 2 cornies to the top for an 10+ gallon batch

Cool, man. I have been making this beer with reduced gluten (brewer's clarex) lately. I'm really happy to be able to drink it again.

Thank you for the awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People that try this beer say it is F*%$#@G AWESOME (to be exact).

I just brewed it again Tuesday for my baby's shower in June. I upped the orange zest to 8oz just to try it since I want a little more orange residual....worse case I dont do it next time. This is going to be a staple through my tapper. People at work ask for it by name all the time.

I reduced the S-04 to only two packs since I think 3 packs is a waste IMO.

Thanks again for the great recipe!

Joe

OK, I re-brewed this again yesterday. The 1st time a few things went wrong. I didn't use the 10L Crystal malt that I used this time. I didn't do the first wort hopping the 1st time as I didn't understand what that was. This time I did. And I think last time I had a problem with tannins if I remember right, so I tried to keep the sparge temp from getting too high.

I only used 2 ounces of fresh peel, so hopefully that was enough. Believe it or not, I only used one large orange for this. I'm not sure how dried peel equates to fresh. Obviously, the dry will be lighter, but I'm thinking some of the flavor will be gone also - so maybe the weights are equivalent(?)

Not sure about the level of orange you'll get, but I know for sure that you'll have beer. You can also 'dry orange' in the secondary if you feel you'd like some more in the final product.

Latest posts

Back