Oxygen canisters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnybrew

Reaction score
Have started aerating my wort after cooling with an aeration stone and a Benzomatic oxygen cylinder. The cylinder holds 2.1 oz of oxygen. My question is does anyone know about how many 5 gallon batches I can expect to aerate with this cylinder? A rough gues is fine.

Yeah, I get anywhere from 6-8 batches on mine. Just remember that you really only need like a 30 sec blast when using O2. Also, I don't have the regulator full open, more like 75% or so. I look at the airstone to see when its right.

One last thing was my regulator is pretty finicky - if I open it really fast it makes a loud squealing noise and leaks a lot of O2. I wasted a bunch of gas when I thought this was normal....

1/2 dozen for me too. I switched to welding tanks as it's a much better deal. One of those benzomatic tanks costs $10 for 1.1cu ft, a 20cu ft tank swap at a welding shop is around $20.

>>1/2 dozen for me too. I switched to welding tanks as it's a much better deal. One of those benzomatic tanks costs $10 for 1.1cu ft, a 20cu ft tank swap at a welding shop is around $20.

What additional hardware do you need, such as a regulator?
How does it hook up to a plastic tube connected to a scintered stone or wand?

>> The cylinder holds 2.1 oz of oxygen. My question is does anyone know about how many 5 gallon batches I can expect to aerate with this cylinder? A rough gues is fine.

It depends on how high you have the flow.
You should not blast it, you should crack it open and let it flow at a slow rate for a minute.
If you see a lot of bubbling, you are wasting your money as the O2 will rise away and not be absorbed by your wort - unless you are oxygenating a carboy and will immediately cap it and rock it vigorously for a minute to cause the O2 in the head space to be dissolved into the work.

I have used mine for 2 batches so far, will report back when the tank is kicked.

The threads/connections with the benzomatic bottles are different, I bought a welding O2 regulator on ebay for $10. From the reg i just clamped on some spare tubing and ran that to the wand which is also clamped on.

>>I bought a welding O2 regulator on ebay for $10. From the reg i just clamped on some spare tubing and ran that to the wand which is also clamped on.

For the "equipment ignorant" such as myself, could you please provide a link?

(heck, I'm a programmer and what's simplistic and routine to many of you, I've never even heard of - a bushing? CPVC? - I end up googling and learning stuff all the time. O2 regulator - I might end up with a Scuba Diving regulator if left to my own devices :p)

Latest posts

Back