Sanke Sealing Oring Replacement and Locking Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Anyone know what is a good oring replacement for a Sanke stem? I was going to use McMaster and get one but I didn't see any that were "flat" and I was a little (probably for no reason) hesitant in buying some that were "round"

I also need to get some replacement locking rings.... any reason why I can't use the standard ones (not sure of the "Real names" but they are 3/4 circumfrance and have little holes on the end for the special pliers to grab them and spread them.... the name escapes me)

Anyone know what is a good oring replacement for a Sanke stem? I was going to use McMaster and get one but I didn't see any that were "flat" and I was a little (probably for no reason) hesitant in buying some that were "round"

Sabco Industries, Inc.
I also need to get some replacement locking rings.... any reason why I can't use the standard ones (not sure of the "Real names" but they are 3/4 circumfrance and have little holes on the end for the special pliers to grab them and spread them.... the name escapes me)

They are called internal snap rings. I've never used them but Kegman sells them (or you could probably just buy them at McMaster.
KegMan Keg's Anti-Tamper Retainer Replacement Kit

I'm going to update the post with it, but the Mcmaster-carr # for the Snap-ring (requires special pliers) is 91580A246.

For the o-rings, you need 1 7/8" OD, and 1 5/8" ID(making it 1/8" thick...)

I'd get the silicone(9396K215), but anything in that size will work.

Heckuva lot cheaper to go through mcmaster-carr.

EDIT:Also, what kegman doesn't tell you, is that you actually need this retaining-ring pliers. They aren't cheap, at ~$30 I think.

The alternative is to grind down a set of pliers, but I'd recommend the special pliers, as they have a spring-assisted action that is reversible.

Here's the one I bought at the store for obviously a little more...They are reversible, so it's used for both external and internal snap rings
41lsJB1nf9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

EDIT:
Seeing as I would use these pretty often(every time you fill, empty or clean a keg..) it violates my harbor freight tool rule:

Only buy what you are ready to watch break and need another of in the same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
When installing a standard snap-ring, ala "keg-man" style, how is the o-ring compresed.

I just don't get it, the spiral rings, that are standard sanke seem to work so well. What is the upside of using the snap ring keg man type? I just don't see any advantage?

When installing a standard snap-ring, ala "keg-man" style, how is the o-ring compresed.

You use a valve/spear removal tool similar to this one: https://www.morebeer.com/products/sanke-valve-spear-removal-tool.html

What is the upside of using the snap ring keg man type?

I have learned and only use the standard manufacturer's snap ring, but I could see how, if I were opening and sealing a lot of kegs all the time, I might appreciate the "always 2-seconds each" nature of the keg man type, vice the "typically 5-10 sec, but sometimes I have to futz with it" of the spiral ring.

Speaking of which -- anyone got any ideas why sometimes the spiral ring just won't snap in? It's as if the spear just won't go down that last 1/64" and let it ka-snap!

Latest posts

Back