Ruthless RYE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
WOW,
I hated this last year and they really got it right this year. Fantastic in 2013.

I should have known, SN is the best brewery in the US. They never fail to amaze me or fix what isn't working.

Now fix Celebration ale, 2012 was very disappointing and it's usually one of my favorite brews.

I just had this last night. Took me about 20 seconds to drink it, pretty much chugged it. Something about the mouthfeel and rye made me really thirsty. Loved it. Instantly one of my favorite beers of all time. Also didn't like it before. Wonder what they changed.

I thought last year's was pretty good. I might pick up a 6er this paycheck along with some Torpedo, which it's been too long since I had.

I'm a big fan - really enjoying it... Just brewed an attempt for something similar yesterday, we will see how close i came in a few weeks...

Well, I also kind of hated this beer last year. Just remember it not being very good. Anyone have any idea what's different?

I'm curious. And yes, Rye Smile is amazing!

I slapped together a clone recipe for this beer, but never got around to brewing it. I imagine it would get you really close. Here it is if anyone wants:

6gal

12lbs 2-row
1.5lbs Rye
1lb C60
3oz Chocolate
Mash @154

.5oz Bravo @ 90
1.5oz Chinook @ 15
.75oz HBC 366 @ 15
1.5oz Chinook @ 0
.75oz HBC 366 @ 0

Dry Hop:
1oz Chinook
1oz Citra
1oz HBC 366

HBC 366 isn't on the market yet. I guess I'd substitute it by blending 2/3rd Simcoe, 1/3rd Citra. This is calced at around 76-78% efficiency. Add more 2 row if needed.

Sorry - repost. The forums are on a lag for me ...

On Scottland's recipe -- I like the addition of chocolate but I would increase the Rye to at least 25% (or even more) of the recipe. That's the proportion on the Wry Smile recipe and that is just barely enough for me :)

Last years was much better imo it tastes like they changed the hops it's much more floral tasting this year. It tastes much more like their pale ale this year and i despise their pale ale

It seems like it finished sweeter than last year's release. I like it, but I liked last year's better.

On Scottland's recipe -- I like the addition of chocolate but I would increase the Rye to at least 25% (or even more) of the recipe. That's the proportion on the Wry Smile recipe and that is just barely enough for me :)

Sierra Nevada uses 10-11% Rye in their beer due to lautering issues. That was meant to be an exact clone, not the best Rye IPA I could think to make =)

Personally, I like to see the beer with around 20% rye.

WOW,
I hated this last year and they really got it right this year. Fantastic in 2013.

I should have known, SN is the best brewery in the US. They never fail to amaze me or fix what isn't working.

Now fix Celebration ale, 2012 was very disappointing and it's usually one of my favorite brews.

I bought some last night and I actually had very sappy and positive thoughts about SN. And I still do. SN really is awesome all around--the largest US brewery that puts out excellent american ale. They are an inspiration to me.

I loved Celebration this year also, though.

I almost bought some today but was afraid of something new and bought Torpedo instead. Maybe next week. :tank:

I love Torp, Rye is special this year as was Harvest north one of my Fav is Celebration and it was AWFUL, pitiful this year.

I love Torp, Rye is special this year as was Harvest north one of my Fav is Celebration and it was AWFUL, pitiful this year.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's but if you could explain the reasons about this year's Celebration that made you feel so strongly about it, that would validate it--your opinion. I thought Celebration was good, so I'm just assuming it didn't meet your expectations of something even better.

I think Celebration lacked the aroma I was used to. Ruthless Rye tastes positively delicious to me this year.

I love rye beers, I just picked up a 6er of ruthless and it didn't last long. I've got a rye pale ale in secondary that actually tastes quite similar, though I believe mine is just a bit sweeter (probably due to honey malt). I've never had ruthless before, but it's already a main favorite of mine... Can't wait to try my finished Rye-u Hadoken Pale Ale!

I rather liked last year's better. Seemed to have more "bite" to
it.

The only other rye beer I've had is Arcadia's Sky High Rye. It's a bit dry. Dry for a rye, but typical for sky high. Yeah, that rhymes. It's not a crime.

Ruthless Rye on the other hand is more spicy, hoppy, and balanced.

I had multiple 12 packs of Celebration this year and loved it. If not drank quickly it lacks aroma and I'd not as good. I had 1 I left for a month or so and it was bland. Freshness is key.

SN is awesome especially for what they charge and I have to try Ruthless so thanks for the reminder.

I personally really like both CA and RR and have both in my fridge! It will be a sad day when it is all gone...

I love rye beers, I just picked up a 6er of ruthless and it didn't last long. I've got a rye pale ale in secondary that actually tastes quite similar, though I believe mine is just a bit sweeter (probably due to honey malt). I've never had ruthless before, but it's already a main favorite of mine... Can't wait to try my finished Rye-u Hadoken Pale Ale!

Love the name man!:rockin: I was always Ken though, bro always had Ryu.

I thought the 2012 Celebration was scrumptious as ever. Did you get it in bottles or tap? Maybe because I live in CA I get the freshest samples...

If you had it on tap then maybe the jerks didn't clean the taps.

I also thought this years Cele was fantastic, probably the best year yet IMO. Ruthless didn't stand out as better or worse than previous years. I also am in CA, so perhaps it's a distribution issue?

I rather liked last year's better. Seemed to have more "bite" to
it.

I agree, I finally got around to getting a 6 pack and was not impressed. It lacked the hoppy presence and dryness I liked about last year's batch.

I remembering liking Ruthless last year, but was so long ago I cant pinpoint why, but I love it this year. I cant imagine how someone could hate SN, one of my favorite American breweries.

Ya know, for the last 15 years people have been saying that this year's Celebration wasn't as good as last year's. How would you really know? Even if you had kept some of last year's around, it would have aged by a year. IMO, it's remarkably consistent from year to year, given differences in hop crops. After being at SN last year when it was being brewed, I know they do everything they can to keep it consistent.

Ya know, for the last 15 years people have been saying that this year's Celebration wasn't as good as last year's. How would you really know? Even if you had kept some of last year's around, it would have aged by a year. IMO, it's remarkably consistent from year to year, given differences in hop crops. After being at SN last year when it was being brewed, I know they do everything they can to keep it consistent.

Interesting. One of the things I love about SN's seasonal brews is that they change every year.

I also thought that this years Celebration was excellent, but I'm also in CA tho so maybe freshness is key....

I still have some SNCA and I'm savoring it. I personally think it's great every year. And, I am enjoying a delicious Ruthless Rye as I type this post. Ummm... Delicious! :mug:

Had the RR tonite for the first time...and all I can say is WOW! What a tasty brew! Plus was my first venture into the rye world. Anybody cloned this one yet?

Byo had a clone a few issues back, along with a few other Sierra clones. I tried my hand at a clone prior to that article, but used some unknown fresh hops from the garden of the university i work at. Turned out great, but nothing like this one. I will definitely be brewing the clone very soon.

They had a beer camp "Two Headed Ruthless" on tap a couple days ago, 9.7%. A double Ruthless it was damn good.

Back