faucet locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of faucet lock will work on Perlick forward seal faucets? I tried the slip-on kind but they didn't fit.

Also, the only stout faucet lock I could find doesn't fit the NB stout faucet. Any ideas on an alternative? I have a new kegerator and a teenager with untrustworthy friends.

Thanks.

you could put a lock on the door/lid and just unhook the liquid posts when your not around...

you could put a lock on the door/lid and just unhook the liquid posts when your not around...

That is going to be my plan in the next 10 years.

I've only seen the kind that's posted by yermej, so I don't know what the OP meant by "slip on kind", but here's a pic with the perlick forward seal faucet [perlick also makes the standard rear sealing faucets]

perlickFaucetLock-B.jpg

if only there was ANY way i could justify spending that to cover 4 taps!

Yeah, those are the ones that I'm going to buy. The irony is that the locks are more expensive than the faucets themselves, depending on the vendor. I'm going to have 5 Perlick faucets on my keezer. That's going to be something like $900 in just faucets and locks!

And to think I was able to convince SWMBO that brewing your own was cheaper than buying bottles. :rolleyes:

if only there was ANY way i could justify spending that to cover 4 taps!

How to justify that spending $180 dollars to keep underage kids from drinking at your house therefore making you responsible (legally) for when they get killed/kill somebody drunk driving or even if there parents find out they were drinking at your house? I'd say $180 is lot cheaper than court costs and fines and fees and definitely a lot cheaper than the guilt if something horrible was to happen because they got into your unlocked taps.

*justified*

If you're taking on the perks of having a kegerator in your home, then along with it come the responsibilities of keeping it from underage consumption. Not trying to sound like a jerk up on a high horse, but reallity has to come into play.

*justified*

If you're taking on the perks of having a kegerator in your home, then along with it come the responsibilities of keeping it from underage consumption.

Out of curiousity do you padlock the fridge when there are bottles in it?

And is the room you brew in locked at all times?

I've debated low cost ways to lock my faucets as well. My big problem comes when little kids come by and are fascinated by the tap handles and pull them allowing beer to come out on to the floor. I've already invested in a lock for the door, but am thinking about installing shut-off valves in the beer lines.

I've debated low cost ways to lock my faucets as well. My big problem comes when little kids come by and are fascinated by the tap handles and pull them allowing beer to come out on to the floor. I've already invested in a lock for the door, but am thinking about installing shut-off valves in the beer lines.

I've thought about that as well. Does anyone know if there are shutoff valves available that screw directly onto corny keg outs? I've looked around and the best I could find was 1/4" shut offs where I'd have to feed the corny keg out a line then to a shutoff and then to another line to the tap. It would be a lot easier if there was a screw on shutoff that fit directly on the beer out.

Out of curiousity do you padlock the fridge when there are bottles in it?

And is the room you brew in locked at all times?

I personally do not because I don't have to worry about about my 3 week old sneaking my brews. But when the time time comes, if it is a known problem that my son has un-trustworthy friends as stated by the the OP, then I will definitely put my beer and liquor under lock and key. It is simply not worth the risk to me. It is almost more likely for teenagers to pull pints from the kegerator than to pull bottles from the fridge that can easily be identified as missing. If they wash the glass there is essentially no way of knowing if they had a few from each keg. Also it's more novel and fun to draw pints from the tap and sit at the bar, not saying they wouldn't be happy with a few bottles. So yes in response. I would be keeping my bottles locked up if I was in the OP's position.

I havent seen your keezer.

As for mine, I intend to build a open sided box that will cover the faucets and lock into place. Most likely, it will be as simple as having a few keyholed clips insode that slip over screws and thena hasp and padlock to lock it in place. More of a slip cover design than an actual faucet lock. Maybe I will even consider building it out of sheet metal.

With a little engineereing or intuition it could even be made as a fold away box by using piano hinges.

A heck of a lot cheaper than the fancy locks and no need to disconnect the lines between pulls.

this is all a design theory for now as I stll have about 3 to 12 years before I need to worry about it.

Irregular Pulse, thats a pretty honest answer you can't argue with...

As for the faucet lock, issue could a wooden imobaliser be built and locked easily?

I also like GilaMinumBeer's idea. For the price of a wooden or sheetmetal box and padlock, you'd be all set. and you'd be locking them all at once adn unlocking all at once, alleviating some of the PITAness of a bunch of padlocks when it's drinking time, or even more so after drinking time.

Back to those specific locks for the perlicks...does anyone know if all of those locks use a common key? The last think I'd need is 5 tap locks over 5 taps with 5 different (yet identical-looking) keys. :(

GilaMinumBeer: Excellent Idea and something I totally never thought of. Thanks.

If they are un-trustworthy, they are not allowed over.

That's the way it was when I was a kid. That's the way it's going to be when the time comes with my kid.

I've only seen the kind that's posted by yermej, so I don't know what the OP meant by "slip on kind", but here's a pic with the perlick forward seal faucet [perlick also makes the standard rear sealing faucets]

perlickFaucetLock-B.jpg

off topic but that just looks evil..

back on topic, how about some sort of in-line on/off valve for the beer hoses, and lock the door on the kegerator so no one can turn it on without opening the door.

Any type of restriction between the keg and the faucet (valve say) can really mess up a balanced system resulting in foaming.

It can be done, but it might end up being a PITA.

If they are un-trustworthy, they are not allowed over.

That's the way it was when I was a kid. That's the way it's going to be when the time comes with my kid.

Well, that's much easier stated than accomplished. :(

Kids will be kids...even the good ones. Liability being what it is these days, it's much better to protect oneself than rely on the relative trustworthiness of teenagers. It only takes one bad decision to wreck your life.

I agree with IrregularPulse earlier in this thread. Somehow, lock 'em up.

Disconnect the C02 tank, or build a small lock box for it. Or if your freezer lock,s just unhook the co2 bottle, set it in the firdge when not is use and lock it up

Disconnect the C02 tank, or build a small lock box for it. Or if your freezer lock,s just unhook the co2 bottle, set it in the firdge when not is use and lock it up
Unfortunately, that won't work very well. Depending on the volume of beer in the keg, there is enough pressure inside to dispense a fair bit of beer before the taps would stop. The only other solution would be to bleed the CO2 out of the kegs, but that would be a PITA and lead to carbonation problems.

I like the idea of some inline valves, perhaps behind a lockable panel (like an electric panel door).

Any type of restriction between the keg and the faucet (valve say) can really mess up a balanced system resulting in foaming.

It can be done, but it might end up being a PITA.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Unfortunately, that won't work very well. Depending on the volume of beer in the keg, there is enough pressure inside to dispense a fair bit of beer before the taps would stop. The only other solution would be to bleed the CO2 out of the kegs, but that would be a PITA and lead to carbonation problems.

I like the idea of some inline valves, perhaps behind a lockable panel (like an electric panel door).

Didn't think of the pressure still inside. Nor do I have any idea how many beers it would dispense. I've yet to keg. Just go my chest freezer last weekend and will be starting collecting parts this weekend.

Definitely the best method is locking the freezer door and removing the QD's (not in that order). Even with a faucet lock, you could technically unthread the faucet from the shank. It would be a messy pour, but desperate times...

You'll have to lock the lid/door anyway because the alternative is plugging a picnic tap on and sidestepping the faucets.

Alternatively you could put your kegerator in a locked closet or room and access it that way.

This is how I wanted to do mine. not necessarily for the purpose of locking but to hide the chest freezer in the laundry room adjacent to the bar area and just have the taps coming through the wall. SWMBO said no, It would take up space in her laundry room. blah blah, priorities with women, they don't make any sense!

If you are using a tower I really like the idea of creating a box that slides right over the tower and locks to the top of the fridge. You could even make a design or write something on it along the lines of.... "Touch it and die..." :D

If you have taps on a fridge door I was picturing a board coming across the front of all the taps preventing them from moving and the board latched to the side of the fridge with a hinge and a lock...

But I feel like not letting the friends over is just asking for more trouble. If they are at your house you know more about what they are doing then if they are "somewhere else"

Haha or if you have an extra keg fill it with something that tastes TERRIBLE, hook it up to one of the taps and make them never want to try your homebrew again :cross:

Unfortunately, that won't work very well. Depending on the volume of beer in the keg, there is enough pressure inside to dispense a fair bit of beer before the taps would stop.

I second this. We poured quite a few beers out of my high school's kegorator after it was disconnected. We also found that the reefer door didn't latch securely and could be pulled open with a sharp yank, even though it was padlocked. I worked in the school cafeteria after hours, BTW. I had actually completely forgotten about it until you mentioned this.

Mmm, beer and ice cream. Everything a growing boy needs.

Anyway, my plan was to fabricate some sort of aluminum bar that swings over and locks all the tap handles and taps in place with one padlock.

Catholic school... run by Franciscans. They didn't feel that God was so worried about the smoking and drinking. They used it for alumni parties and whatnot.

I know, I know... Insert "pedophile Catholic priest" joke here

Catholic school... run by Franciscans. They didn't feel that God was so worried about the smoking and drinking. They used it for alumni parties and whatnot.

I know, I know... Insert "pedophile Catholic priest" joke here

Our KofC hall has two. At cost drafts and one dollar cans after meetings.

And card games. :rockin:

Haha or if you have an extra keg fill it with something that tastes TERRIBLE, hook it up to one of the taps and make them never want to try your homebrew again :cross:

Now that didn't work. I drank Old English 800 as a teenager. If it has alcohol in it, they'll ingest it!

Anyone have any pictures of their DIY Faucet locks. My keezer is sitting outside, now with 4 faucets and handles, I know it will be just a matter of time before I find some neighbors kid with his face sucking on the bottome of the faucet.

Latest posts

Back