Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
It seems so obvious. But I don't see anyone attempting a recipe in the database. So here's a quick stab at a recipe. Let me know how you think it will work. 5.5 gal batch.

8.0 lbs 2-row pale
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
1.0 lb crystal malt 10L
0.2 lb roasted barley
0.5 lb torrified wheat
?? oz lactose

2 oz Fuggles at 60min

Mash at 156-158 F.

I'd like to get the chocolatey flavors from the grain only, no cocoa or extract. I'm also specifying only 10L crystal since I don't want stronger caramel flavors to interfere with the roasty/chocolatey flavors from the chocolate malt and roasted barley. What do you think?

Oh, I've also been wondering what a stout would taste like with whoppers malted milk balls tossed in towards the end of the boil. Might be interesting. I'd be slightly worried at the fat in them although it seems some people have success when adding whole pieces of chocolate to boils so it may not pose a problem.

I'd pass on the whoppers, it will probably kill head retention, and who knows what else. The recipe looks good, I'd go with 0.5 lb. of lactose. What yeast are you going to use?

WLP004 will work great...i've used it in a bunch of stouts. you wouldn't necessarily need to mash that high with it, it'll leave more residual sweetness than nottingham.

Use pale chocolate malt, and definitely not english chocolate. The higher lovibond chocolates give more of a dark chocolate flavor. The Pale Chocolate gives a real nice milk chocolate flavor...
I'd suggest using the pale chocolate and replace the torrefied wheat with .5-1 lb oats for the silky texture. I'd reduce the bittering too, to 1 1/2 ozs as well.

Interesting, I was looking for a Chocolate Milk Stout recipe just the other day. I eventually gave up and realized it was too hot for chocolate and/or milk stout right now. Let us know how this turns out because I would love to make this for my wife's birthday party in October. Milk Stout is her favorite....

bump from the dead..... how did this turn out i love lancaster milk stout and a touch of chocolate would be nice

I brewed the following recipe this past January. It's similar to the OPs recipe. Came out great. Next time I'll add some oats for more body. The chocolate I used was high quality bakers powder.

Recipe: Chocolate Stout
Brewer: Steve
Asst Brewer:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.29 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 34.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 92.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.9 %
10.2 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
10.1 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.6 %
30.0 g Yakima Goldings [5.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.5 IBUs
1.00 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 7 -
7.00 oz Chocolate (Boil 5.0 mins) Flavor 6 -
1.0 pkg US-04 (Safale #) [0.05 qt] Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

Ok since im a noob and this will be my first all grain. How much oats would you add?
Also what kind of chocolate should I use? Unsweetened?

I would add 8 oz (5%) of flaked oats to my recipe above, probably a handful of quick Quaker Oats from the pantry. The lactose does provide some body, I just think it needs a bit more.
For the chocolate you need a low fat variety, not milk chocolate and not sweetened. It's a raw chocolate. Many people use cocoa nibs.

Ok where would I be able to find the nibs? And where can I get this recipe calculated for a 3gl batch?

I'm going to do a chocolate stout this weekend and I'm still not sure how I want to get the chocolate flavor. Bithead's recipe calls for chocolate powder (and there are numerous other recipes here that use powder). I just tested chocolate powder by making a 1 liter starter at 1.060 (to simulate my recipe OG). After the starter boiled, I added a proportional amount of Hershey's pure dark cocoa powder (no sweetener, no fat), and boiled for 10 minutes. The powder dissolved well. However as soon as I started to cool it, it started to separate. I have it in a clear glass measuring cup and it has clearly separated with darker solids on the bottom. Total volume is 1 liter, the darker solids are about 150 ml.

I will be using a plate chiller for the first time for this brew. The last thing I want to do is clog it up with cocoa powder trub. Has anyone seen any issues with this much trub when using powder? Has anyone ever used cocoa powder and a plate chiller?

I'd rather stay with natural ingredients but I'm considering using extract.

I badly want to make a chocolate milk stout. I have gad one from a local brewer and on nitro it is almost like your drinking some hersheys chocolate milk. No coffee or dark chocolate flavors tho. Is this what you guys are going for?

so how subtle is the chocolate in this recipe ?
The chocolate in my recipe is not subtle, it's present but not front and center. It's not like where's the chocolate or holy $hip that's chocolaty but a nice chocolate flavor that plays well with the malts and creamy mouth feel from the lactose. You could drink a couple and not OD on chocolate.

I'm going to do a chocolate stout this weekend and I'm still not sure how I want to get the chocolate flavor. Bithead's recipe calls for chocolate powder (and there are numerous other recipes here that use powder). I just tested chocolate powder by making a 1 liter starter at 1.060 (to simulate my recipe OG). After the starter boiled, I added a proportional amount of Hershey's pure dark cocoa powder (no sweetener, no fat), and boiled for 10 minutes. The powder dissolved well. However as soon as I started to cool it, it started to separate. I have it in a clear glass measuring cup and it has clearly separated with darker solids on the bottom. Total volume is 1 liter, the darker solids are about 150 ml.

I will be using a plate chiller for the first time for this brew. The last thing I want to do is clog it up with cocoa powder trub. Has anyone seen any issues with this much trub when using powder? Has anyone ever used cocoa powder and a plate chiller?

I'd rather stay with natural ingredients but I'm considering using extract.
Yes, there was separation. I use an IC so your concern with your plate chiller wasn't an issue and didn't worry about it.

I'm looking for somewhat subtle chocolate. Noticeable but not dominant. I'll also be adding coffee. I'm hoping for a stout that has noticeable chocolate and coffee flavor, but I don't want a chocolate milk shake. Some people have reported using 8 oz of powdered chocolate and it being similar to Young's double chocolate stout. That is more than I want so if I use powder, I'll add 4 oz of powder to the boil, taste test when I check gravity after fermentation is done and add extract when bottling if I need to.

Still curious if anyone has used powder in the boil and then run it through a plate chiller.

I'm going to be doing a chocolate stout this weekend as well. The grain bill is based on Barley Water's recipe but with some flaked barley for some mouth feel. Here what i was planning:

OG 1060
FG 1015
IBU 28 (60 min addition only)

Rest at 153F for 60 min.

70% MO
6% C80
8% Chocolate
5% Roasted Barley
7% Lactose
4% Flaked Barley

6 oz Cocoa Powder at end of boil

US-05

This is my first one so I don't want to go too extreme on the chocolate. I guess if 6oz isn't enough I can add some to the secondary, but I think it will be.

What do you guys think?

I would lose the roasted barley. Too acrid for a chocolate stout IMO.

I don't know if I can bring myself to do a stout without roasted barley.;). I love the roast, it especially sounds good with chocolate! If it's too much I will back off or switch next time.

What do you think about the amount of unfermentables? Too much?

So you guys would say go with pale chocolate over regular choco. malt? What would the regular do just make it more bitter if you use the same amount?

hey how could i reduce the roasted barley a little in bit head recipe ? what could i replace it with ?

davis119 said:
hey how could i reduce the roasted barley a little in bit head recipe ? what could i replace it with ?

I'd replace it with chocolate malt, or maybe increase the chocolate to just a pound.

I concur with PGHBrew. Need the barley cause I love the roast and it goes so well with the chocolate.

I was concerned with the amount of unfermentables but it worked out. My OG was 1.057 and FG 1.015. I think it was perfect for what I was going for.

Bithead said:
I used 30.0 g Yakima Goldings [5.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.5 IBUs. OP had 2 oz Fuggles but no IBUs specified. IBU range for a sweet stout is 20-40.

Gotcha. Ill have to see what the LBS has. And btw I stole your recipe and started a thread about it.....

Bithead said:
I used 30.0 g Yakima Goldings [5.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min 21.5 IBUs. OP had 2 oz Fuggles but no IBUs specified. IBU range for a sweet stout is 20-40.

I used the northern brewer recipe for sweet stout. Super simple, and it has a subtle chocolate and coffee flavor, but with only 1 oz of willamette or goldings. My last batch came in at 16 or 17 IBU's and tastes perfect. And it has a whole lb. of lactose in it. Don't be afraid to go out of style to suit your preferences. If it was much higher I probably wouldn't like it as much.

so hhere is the recipe im going with
8lb. m&f pale
1lb oats
12oz crystal 80
10oz roasted barley
9oz chocolate
5oz cacoa nibs
1oz fuggle 60min
1oz williamette 30min
wy1056

I'm brewing round 2 of this mackeson xxx clone. It was wonderful the first time and uses no actual cocoa. Marris otter, crystal 60, chocolate malt, black patent, lactose and malto-dextrine. One oz nugget for bittering and London ale yeast. Mash at 150-151 and this has such a smooth mouth feel with a wonderful chocolate/coffee aroma and flavor.

Back