Water for Rinsing & Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
I do most of my homebrew activities under my carport and in an adjoining room. The only running water I have at the time is from a spigot outside. I do not have a food grade hose or a filter.
Is it okay to use my hose for cleaning, rinsing and sanitizing?

So, I shouldn't mix the outside water/hose with star-san? What is it that will get past the Star-san? Not that I doubt ya, just curious.

The danger with using a non-potable-water hose is that they usually contain lead, so it's a health risk rather than a sanitation problem. If I were you, I'd just go get an RV-type potable water hose for brewing and be done with it... And one of those inline RV water filters wouldn't hurt either, depending on how good your water is to begin with.

when i turned on my garden hose for the first time this season, brown, rusty water shot out.

that's reason enough not to trust it for too much.

+1 on the RV hose. They're pretty cheap, and lead-free.

I bought a RV water hose at Walmart for something like $10 - $15. For that little of money, it's well worth not taking the change using a garden hose. The also have those nifty water filters setting next to the RV hose so I picked one of those up too.

Latest posts

Back