Brooklyn's Local 1: The Best Belgian-Style American Beer Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So I finally cracked open my one and only bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's "Local 1" that I snagged while I was up in Brooklyn. I was floored. I don't think I've ever had an American beer that was so quintessentially Belgian, and so insanely complex and full of character. It didn't say so on the label, but it's a Tripel. 9% ABV. It was impeccable in all respects. The alcohol didn't show itself too much, and the touch of sweetness was excellent. The nose was unreal...even most Belgians don't have this much going on. Herbs, spices, earthy funk, springtime flowers, sweet candy, you name it. The mouthfeel was smooth and inviting, and ultimately refreshing, dispite the slight sweetness. The fruity esters from the yeast just rocked my face off...apple, pear, orange, tangerine, apricot, grapefruit...I simply cannot say enough good things about this beer. If you can get your hands on some, you should buy 3 or 4 at least. I'm gonna get my friend to pick up some more for me.

Unless you're one of those "I don't like Belgian beer" oddballs...and in that case, well,
ban.gif

It is indeed fantastic...I previously related that I took a bottle to Easter dinner and it was a huge hit, even with the non-beer drinkers. It's pretty available in my local area...though it appears at a fairly wide price differential.

It's good, but I wouldn't consider it the best Belgian style made in America. IMHO Ommegang has a far superior product, but then again I also like Pilsner Urquell which comes in green bottles.:D

Don't get me wrong, I think Garret Oliver did a fine job working with those guys at lachouffe to come up with a terrific beers.

So what is the 13 then? Erm, never mind it must have been the Local 1...wonder where I got 13 from. There is a bottle shop local that has it, I'll have to try it.

Never had a Tripel but I love Belgian Wits. Course, My wits are around 3.5% cuz I'm a pu$$.

9%? Is that typical?

I'll need to head to the beer superstore here and pick up some Tripel of which you speak.

I thought the 1 was the tripel. I think he's (Garret Oliver) worked with Lachouffe on several beers. I do recall that they even did a joint brewing venture which was Brooklyn Cuvée D'Achouffe?
Maybe that is AKA 13?

I had a Local 1 on my last brewday, one of my favorite beers to date. Nice to live in the NY metro area, very available.

BierMuncher said:
Never had a Tripel but I love Belgian Wits. Course, My wits are around 3.5% cuz I'm a pu$$.

9%? Is that typical?

I'll need to head to the beer superstore here and pick up some Tripel of which you speak.

Yeah, 9% is typical for tripels. The style is essentially a high-grav, sweeter golden ale. You should definitely seek some out. It'll make a man outta ya. Gouden Carolus makes a really nice one.

Back