Cream Ale Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I am about to enbark on making a batch of "Cream Ale" I have hijacked this recipe from various sources on the web and put together what I hope is a good recipe. I am hoping that I can receive some "expert" advice and feed back about my recipe from the posters I have come to rely on on this board. Any constructive suggestions is welcomed.

Boil
6# Laaglander Light DME

Steep
.5# Munich Malt
.5# Flaked Corn (Maize)
.5# Honey Malt
.5# Crystal 20L
.5# Caramel Pils Malt

Hops
1 oz Cascade (60 Min)
.5 oz Saaz-Czech (15 min)
.5 oz Hallertauer (5 min)

Yeast
White Labs California Ale

I was also considering some malto dextrin and lactose.

I await your valued advice.

TD

Cream ales don't have lactose; the "cream" is a completely misleading name for the style. I wouldn't add MD either, the beer is supposed to be light-bodied and crisp; think an ale version of a light American lager. As per BJCP, FG should be 1.006 - 1.012, so anything that adds substantially to body is out.

Actually, the Laaglander is a bad choice for the extract, as well - that stuff has a TON of non-fermentables. From what I've read (I haven't used it myself), you really only want to use that stuff as a modest percentage of your total extract - and given the style of a cream ale, you don't want any in here.

Forgetting about labels for a second - what kind of beer ARE you trying to make?

just fyi -laaglander malt is not as fermentable as other brands and stops with a higher than usually final gravity -ie a sweeter/maltier taste.(possibly what you wanted with a cream ale?)

edit- too slow again - what _bird said

seefresh said:
If cream ales are light bodied, dry and not sweet... why are they called cream ales? Just out of curiousity. I think creaminess when I think cream ale.

That's one of the great beer mysteries. You ever have Genne Cream Ale? It's not full-bodied and rich like they would like you to believe. It's false advertising at its finest. Really, the only beer styles that I am aware of that actually call for lactose are milk stouts.

Also,
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't flaked corn (and munich?) need to be mashed and not steeped?

the_bird said:
That's one of the great beer mysteries. You ever have Genne Cream Ale? It's not full-bodied and rich like they would like you to believe. It's false advertising at its finest. Really, the only beer styles that I am aware of that actually call for lactose are milk stouts.

Caramel Cream Ale calls for lactose, dam you Cheese for confusing my poor brain!

Sorry for the hijack, but just realized this is my 420th post... so:

cannabis_indica_01.jpg

seefresh said:
If cream ales are light bodied, dry and not sweet... why are they called cream ales? Just out of curiousity. I think creaminess when I think cream ale.

You need to look at the history of the style. Cream Ales were developed to compete against lagers when lagers (mainly pilsners) first beame popular. The were looking for a lager like ale, light, crisp, clean . . .the "cream of the crop" for ales

Pumbaa said:
You need to look at the history of the style. Cream Ales were developed to compete against lagers when lagers (mainly pilsners) first beame popular. The were looking for a lager like ale, light, crisp, clean . . .the "cream of the crop" for ales

That's interesting, man... that's flippin interesting.

the_bird said:
Actually, the Laaglander is a bad choice for the extract, as well - that stuff has a TON of non-fermentables.
What if I used 3# of Laaglander DME and 3.3# of Muntons Light Extract???

TD

Pumbaa said:

There's an old ad for Hudepohl's 'Little Kings' Cream Ale on the side of an old building where the brewery was...it's slogan was 'Too Good to be Beer'

We had a few keg sessions with this stuff in my 'just turned 21' days. It was pretty cheap. The overriding sentiment was that this stuff was bad news because it went down so easy. It was particularly sweet, not hoppy at all-and it had absolutely no lingering aftertaste of any kind. So you could drink a lot of it fast...we thought that there was something about it's make up that made it stronger-but in retrospect, I think it was just easy to drink a lot of it.

tdiowa said:
What if I used 3# of Laaglander DME and 3.3# of Muntons Light Extract???

TD

Really, though, what are you trying to make? Forget the labels. You aren't going to make a true cream ale with any Laaglander, but I think you may not be looking to make a cream ale. What attributes are you looking for? Sweet? Malty? Full bodied?

Learned something new today, I always thought cream ales contained lactose. Now I know why I didn't like the Gennessee Cream ale. I'll say that Cheese's CCA recipe added to the confusion also. :D

There's a good episode of the Jamil show from last year that talks about cream ales in a lot of detail - might be worth a listen for folks who want to know more detail about the style.

Back