Dixie beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
I am looking for a recipe for the original Dixie lager. My wife, who is more than patient when it comes to this hobby was sorely disappointed when I brought home a six pack of what is currently 'Dixie beer'. I myself compare it now to the Walgreens beer. After dumping our first Dixie's since 2003, we found out that the brewery itself was destroyed in Katrina and they have been bouncing from one brewery to another trying to keep the name alive. Obviously, they would like to eventually relocate themselves back to New Orleans. In the process however, they are sinking this beer. It is absolutely not the same beer that was brewed pre-Katrina. It's pretty bad...

My wife is from there, she has a lot of family there and I thought it would be cool if I could find a clone...

Any help would be appreciated!

A couple months back I searched and found a recipe for the Blackened Voodoo Lager. I don't remember where I found it though, I was gonna search again and brew it in the fall. If that's what your looking for the clone is floating around somewhere. I've only had the Blackened and the Crimson red. Is the Dixie a different beer? I too miss them, they were some of the best beer I've had.

Bump times a million! I had the good fortune to visit New Orleans right before Katrina and greatly enjoyed a Dixie longneck or two. This was before I got into homebrewing, but I loved it. I drank those Dixies in a lovely condo in the Garden District after having my first encounter with creole cream cheese. As a true fan of New Orleans and every damn thing about it, I'd love to find a clone of this beer!

Back