Help with stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG

Reaction score
I brewed up my AHS 20th Anniversary Stout kit a about 10 days ago. I'm making this batch for a friends wedding on May 21.

I used standard mini-mash (BIAB) technique, but as of today fermentation seems to be stuck. The only changes I made to the kit was to add about 8oz of rolled oats to the mash. I used Danstar Windsor w/ starter.

Kit OG: 1.052
My OG: 1.058

Kit FG: 1.014
My FG: 1.030 (3 days straight)

Calculations put this at ~4% ABV, which is short of the 5.4% that the kit is supposed to get. I racked to secondary to take a look at the yeast cake and it seemed healthy. Flavor is OKish, very sweet, but a little watery.

It did ferment a little warm (71-74F), but that should only effect the flavor, not the alcohol content, right?

Any ideas on how to get this baby started again? It can't be done yet, right?

Well you've more or less ruined the chance of finishing your fermentation since you racked your beer off of the yeast for some reason.

Next time try rousing the yeast a bit by swirling around the carboy for a few seconds. You can also try moving the carboy to a warmer area. Usually a swirl is enough to get you the few extra points though.

It would probably be watery until it conditions and carbs up. Fermentation temperature doesn't ultimately affect alcohol content except that too cold could slow and stall fermentation.

With an SG of 1.030 I would expect it to be kind of heavy and maybe a bit on the sweet side, did you taste it?

That does sound kind of high for an FG. Did you take it off the yeast before or after the SG was stable for 3 days? Some people claim to have success restarting a stuck fermentation by racking it, although most people try rousing the yeast one way or another first.

My two bits, it will still be beer. :mug: Let it sit for a couple more weeks, then bottle or keg.

rdwhahb

rehydrate a packet of nottingham, pich and check in 3 days
Start a new batch asap with a fast yeast(it will barely be ready in time)
Fg seem werry high so i doubt that you owershot the mash temp by that much

Well you've more or less ruined the chance of finishing your fermentation since you racked your beer off of the yeast for some reason.

Next time try rousing the yeast a bit by swirling around the carboy for a few seconds. You can also try moving the carboy to a warmer area. Usually a swirl is enough to get you the few extra points though.

It would probably be watery until it conditions and carbs up. Fermentation temperature doesn't ultimately affect alcohol content except that too cold could slow and stall fermentation.

I did give it a good old swirl about 3 days ago. No such luck :(

With an SG of 1.030 I would expect it to be kind of heavy and maybe a bit on the sweet side, did you taste it?

That does sound kind of high for an FG. Did you take it off the yeast before or after the SG was stable for 3 days? Some people claim to have success restarting a stuck fermentation by racking it, although most people try rousing the yeast one way or another first.

My two bits, it will still be beer. :mug: Let it sit for a couple more weeks, then bottle or keg.

rdwhahb

I did taste it. It was very sweet, not as sweet as cola, but almost.

rehydrate a packet of nottingham, pich and check in 3 days
Start a new batch asap with a fast yeast(it will barely be ready in time)
Fg seem werry high so i doubt that you owershot the mash temp by that much

I'll probably re-pitch with nottingham tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

Thinking out loud here, but couldn't you repitch some of the yeast cake into the secondary? That would seem equivalent to pitching a fresh vial or packet of yeast.

ive had problems with windsor getting good attenuation, but never this bad. the notty should get you there

btw, what temps did you mash at?

Thinking out loud here, but couldn't you repitch some of the yeast cake into the secondary? That would seem equivalent to pitching a fresh vial or packet of yeast.

I figured it was spent and tossed it. If the yeast is the problem then replacing it would be step #1.

ive had problems with windsor getting good attenuation, but never this bad. the notty should get you there

btw, what temps did you mash at?

The kit calls for 45min @ 155 F, but I was getting used to a new stove and overshot a bit. I probably averaged closer to 160\165.

They just opened a new LHBS just around the corner from me in Decatur, so I'll pitch that notty tonight.

hmm, its still worse attenuation than it should be, but such a high mash temp isn't helping. you likely denatured all the beta amylase and a good chunk of the alpha amylase probably didnt chop up the complex sugars too much. if the notty doesnt get you down you may need to pick up some amylase enzyme to save this or go a different route and use bugs/brett. same goes for DPDIS

None such, so I dropped by the LHBS today and picked up some Amylase Enzyme. I dropped the recommended dose in the fermenter (dissolved in 150 degree water) and will keep my fingers crossed. I should know in 24.

SUCCESS!

Fermentation is now rebooted and stronger than ever! Go, go, amylase!

Now that's more like it!

Fermentation is finished again, now with an OG of 1.021. That's a significant improvement!. Alcohol is up, and the beer is a bit "fuller" in flavor. It's still sweet, but 2 weeks and carbonation should take care of that.

BTW, cold steeping whole coffee beans is definitely the way to go. Great coffee flavor without overpowering the beer and little to no bitterness added.

Thank you amylase!

Back