Please, critique my APA recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emme08

Reaction score
Hi, i'm going to brew an APA, i'have elaborated this extract recipe:

Quantities for 6 gallons:
OG 1,062; IBU: 55; EBC: 19;
Malts:
7.2 pounds Dry Light Extract, 1,046
0.55 pounds Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt, 1,033
0.80 Crystal Malt - 60L, 1,034
0.2 pounds CaraMunich II, 1,034
Hops:
1.25 oz Chinook, 13,0 %a.a., 60'
0.35 oz Chinook, 13,0 %a.a., 15'
0.35 oz Nelson Sauvin, 12,0 %a.a., 15'
0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin, 12,0 %a.a., 1'
1 oz Cascade, 5,5 %a.a., 1'
0.35 oz Chinook, 13,0 %a.a., dry hop
1 oz Cascade, 5,5 %a.a., dry hop

Thank's in advance!

It looks good to me, although with the higher gravity/bitterness plus dry hops you are probably pushing it into the low-end of the American IPA category (if you care). Should be an interesting mix of citrusy hops. Good luck!

It looks good to me, although with the higher gravity/bitterness plus dry hops you are probably pushing it into the low-end of the American IPA category (if you care). Should be an interesting mix of citrusy hops. Good luck!

Thank's Oldsock. This is my first recipe of this tipe, so an opinion from an expert is very important!

EDIT: "The Mad Fermentationist", are you? really? Damn, I love your blog, i follow since one year and is awesome!

Thank's Oldsock. This is my first recipe of this tipe, so an opinion from an expert is very important!

EDIT: "The Mad Fermentationist", are you? really? Damn, I love your blog, i follow since one year and is awesome!

Thanks, hope the batch turns out well.

To me, all I taste when I dryhop with chinook is chinook. It can be quite aggressive and block out some of the flavors you'll get from the late hop nelson sauvins (which is a beautiful hop).

To me, all I taste when I dryhop with chinook is chinook. It can be quite aggressive and block out some of the flavors you'll get from the late hop nelson sauvins (which is a beautiful hop).

Thank's for your answer, it's very useful for me because i don't know chinook, never use it before!
I like Nelson sauvin and want to try in a recipe, so what do you recommend?
1-reduce the dry hop with chinook?
2-increase the nelson at 1'?
3-switch the chinook whit cascade at 15'?
Others suggestions?

I wouldn't take out the chinook dry hop, I would just add a touch of Nelson to dry hop as well. It's powerful in it's own right and can stand up to the chinooks.

Too much crystal for my taste!

I'd limit it to one pound of whichever types you want. A blend of different cara/crystal malts can give some depth, so you may want to keep the different kinds just cut back to one pound total.

As was mentioned your hopping is in IPA territory (along with the OG) but it can be an IPA. Or you can cut the bittering hops a bit and have a hoppy APA.

Thank's to all, I hope I have understood yours suggestions and I arrived at this recipe for my american IPA:
-i decrised grains to 1.1 pound
-i increased ibu up to 60, so the ratio og/ibu now is 1
-i added Nelson in dry hop

Quantities for 6 gallons:
OG 1,060; IBU: 60; EBC: 18;

Malts:
7.2 pounds Dry Light Extract, 1,046
0.30 pounds Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt, 1,033
0.60 pounds Crystal Malt - 60L, 1,034
0.2 pounds CaraMunich II, 1,034

Hops:
1.35 oz Chinook, 13,0 %a.a., 60'