Saison Dupont clone with WLP566 Saison II yeast: optimal temp? Yeast nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I am brewing my 2nd beer. This time partial mash Saison Dupont clone. Got the OG of 1.060. I also did a 2 pint starter for WLP566 Belgian Saison II yeast (gave it 36 hours).

Questions:
1. What is the optimal temperature for fermentation (primary and secondary)? At 75F it started bubblin' CO2 after 6 hours.
2. Should I add yeast nutrients and if so, is it too late to add now that it has been fermenting for over 24 hours?

I love the saisons, so I want to make sure I get this one right.

I haven't used that strain, but in brief research it seems to be more cooperative than 565. By the time you start ramping 566, it seems like it will be done. You will probably get more "fruity" the warmer you get.

My new strategy with Saison is simplicity. I'll wait till summer, put the fermenter in a bucket of water and stick it in a warm bedroom or the garage. The last one was temperature controlled and while it is turning out well (still in secondary with brett), it was complicated and 565 didn't finish. I ramped temps up from high 60s to 91 and it sat for 4 weeks. Stuck at 1.030. Since I was going to pitch brett anyway, I really didn't care.

Ferment high. I believe Brassiere Dupont ferments at 90 F. Personally I'm not sure I'd take the yeast much above 75 F.

Keep it around 75 for 2 weeks in the primary, and then either rack to secondary to clear or bottle (assuming it's done). Many people say don't use a secondary, but this is probably one time where you don't want to leave it on the yeast for too long. By fermenting high, yeast deterioration (autolysis) is accelerated.

I have one going right now with WLP550. Fermented around 75, I've bumped it up to 80 for the second week, and will rack it next weekend and leave it sitting in the low 60s until I'm ready to bottle.

You don't need any nutrient.

Back