Stuck mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
Whenever I brew a wheat beer I tend to get a stuck mash. I know that adding rice huls will fix the problem so my question is whats the proper rice huls to grain ratio and are there any other techniques that will work? Thanks, Mike

Doing a beta glucanase rest (95-113F) can help break up the gums in the mash that are causing it to stick.

I recently read that one pound of rice huls per pound of wheat is needed so I like your way better. What kind of manifold/false bottom are you using?
I do about 1 pound of rice hulls for a 10 gallon batch and haven't had a stuck mash using 66% wheat malt in the grist.

inside_mlt.JPG

I use a 1/2BBL Sanke Keg as a mash tun. The false bottom looks almost exactly like this one.

Bump. I had a bit of a stuck mash my first time using jaybirds false bottom in my keggle mashtun. I did find that heating it up to 180 to do a mashout seemed to help get things moving a bit, but I ended up having to stir and jack around with it a bit to get it going. Seemed like once the flow started and the pump was recirculating it set the bed pretty good.

So, 1 lb of rice hulls will do the trick? Just mix them into the grains at dough in?

Have you ever seen a pound of rice hulls? It takes up a lot of volume. I've had good luck with just a few handfuls thrown into the mash. You should try soaking them first, to counteract their absorption.

Back