Process question on vinator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I just used a vinator for the first time and I think I need advice on the process. With Starsan as my sanitizer, I was going from the vinator to filling the bottle with no real pause. I think I need to put at least 30 seconds in between those steps. Leaving the bottles right side up seems wrong since dust could get in, so I guess I need to stack them upside down for a bit. I suppose I could use an old LME bucket as the step between the vinator and the bottling.

So does this sound correct?

1. Take previously cleaned bottle
  2. Spray using vinator
  3. Leave upside down in clean bucket
  4. Repeat for at least 30 seconds
  5. Start pulling bottles from bucket to fill

After using the vinatore, I hang my bottles on the bottle tree while waiting for the primary to finish syphoning to bottling bucket.
Not saying it is correct, but what I do.

Dave

After using the vinatore, I hang my bottles on the bottle tree while waiting for the primary to finish syphoning to bottling bucket.
Not saying it is correct, but what I do.

Dave

Ha. After about two bottles I said to myself "Oh, so that is why people by the bottle tree". It wasn't until I started the process that it clicked. I can see the value. I'm just trying to save some equipment cost.

Ha. After about two bottles I said to myself "Oh, so that is why people by the bottle tree". It wasn't until I started the process that it clicked. I can see the value. I'm just trying to save some equipment cost.

If you have a dishwasher, use the tines in the rack to hang your bottles upside down. That will save you the cost of a bottle tree, also there is a DIY somwhere here with a guy who made a bottle tree out of CPVC and nails (covered w/CPVC).

+1 for the dishwasher rack. If you read up on Revvy's tips & tricks for bottling, you will get lots of good info.

The reason I don't use the dishwasher rack is because I have a one year old. The dishwasher is ALWAYS full of baby bottles.
I now the initial costs of exrtras are pricey, but the vinatore and bottle tree were worth it to me!
Dave

in my first bottling procedure I made running the bottles through the detergentless dishwasher on the hottest setting part of my procedure.. Sanitizes bottles AND the dishwasher... I dunked the bottles in starsan after, shook them, and place them upside down on the tines... double sanitized. Really gave me some piece of mind that my bottles we very clean. (not to mention the oxiclean soak before the dishwashing cycle, got used bombers from craigslist)

I really like the dishwasher rack idea. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. I already bottle right next to the stupid thing. It was right there in front of me!!

The only issue would be a dishwasher partially full of dirty dishes. This can be avoided with some planning ahead ... but my planning ahead skills aren't always that sharp. :)

Good idea for next time. Hopefully this last batch will be fine.

+1 for the dishwasher rack. If you read up on Revvy's tips & tricks for bottling, you will get lots of good info.

I really like the dishwasher rack idea. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. I already bottle right next to the stupid thing. It was right there in front of me!!

The only issue would be a dishwasher partially full of dirty dishes. This can be avoided with some planning ahead ... but my planning ahead skills aren't always that sharp. :)

Good idea for next time. Hopefully this last batch will be fine.

As XXguy stated Revvy has a great thread on bottling, actually do it over teh dishwasher door, and any drips or spills ar confined within the dishwasher, I found that info priceelss and has made my bottling days less tedious, having said that, I hate bottling, I will always bottle (even when I start kegging), nonetheless, I hate it!

Back