Recommendations on red ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to get rid of some left-over ingredients, and am trying to come up with a solid american red ale recipe. The only ingredients I want to buy are specialty grains, the rest I have already and are listed below. So this is what I came up with, comments/suggestions (including hop usage) would be great! Any other better combos you guys can think of? The only other thing I would have left-over is 2 oz of Chinook (I have a total of 4 oz), but I thought the recipe would be better with using only the 2 oz.

7 lbs pale liguid malt extract
0.5 lb crystal 60
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz special B
0.5 oz Galena (60)
0.2 oz Chinook (60)
0.5 oz cascade (5)
0.25 oz liberty (steep)
0.5 oz tettnanger (dry)
Wyeast American Ale II

Looks good to me. I think your Liberty and Tettnanger will get lost in the Cascades, though; neither of those varieties are as strongly-flavored. In fact, I'd delete the Cascades and save them for something else; use 'em with the Chinook in an APA or something. So you'd have your boiling additions, Liberty at flameout and Tettnang dry.

You dig?

Bob

Sounds good. Quick clarification though, are you suggesting getting rid of the chinook alltogether, or keep the 2 oz?

Another possibility, would I be better off using the cascade for a 20 minute boil as a flavor addition? Or would that still overpower the finishing hops?

Okay, hang on a sec.

In the recipe, you wrote 0.2 oz. In post #3, you wrote 2 oz. Which is it?

I don't recommend 2 oz of Chinook in this beer. Waaaaaaay too much.

My recommendation was to remove the Cascades and keep the 0.2 oz of Chinook for bittering.

Cheers,

Bob

Back