New Belgium Imperial Berlinerweiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
Picked up a bomber from Earth Fare. Man, this stuff is just not very good. Aroma is VERY fruity, kind of a fake rancid frutiness I can't place. The beer itself is not very sour and has kind of a chemical aftertaste. I think its that muddy NB house taste that is making this beer too malty (although its 7%) and really throwing it off. Not sure if NB filters or not. If they don't, this beer could probably use 6 months to a year in the cellar to develop more. It also leaves me wishing for a drier finish than it has. I'm also detecting some diacetyl, which isnt uncommon for lacto fermentations, but rather offputting. I'll admit I can't actually taste diacetyl, but I've accustomed myself to the slick feeling I get on the back of my tongue from it.

Thats another beef I have with it. Are we over the Imperialization phase yet? Its ok if you want to make a higher alcohol sour, but don't try to pass it off as a (poorly made) Berlinerweiss which rarely goes above 4%.

Back