pitched starter yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burning2nd

Reaction score
ok... was i suppose to stirr the yeast in the starter enough to make the cake at the bottem go in to the wort?

brewed...and now in my primary

did a yeast starter on the 20th, 22nd put it in the fridge for a day and a half... and then i let it come back up to room temp (almost 8 hours b4 use)

but the stuff in the bottem i did not include.... will my fermentation accrue still? or can i add more/ should i?

Im gonna wait a few more days.. if i dont see fermenting what should i do?

If you put the starter in the fridge...well, the point of putting the starter in the fridge is to compact the yeast on the bottom so you can poor off the wort (and leave the yeast). If you left the 'stuff' (which, I'm sorry to say, was the yeast cake...) than you may want to think about pitching some dry yeast. The fermentation still may occur...but you really, really under pitched. I usually just take my starter off the stirplate when I start my brew. By the time I'm ready to pitch the yeast has settled out enough I can decant most of the wort. Some just do as you stated in the beginning of your post....just stir and pour in the whole thing.

Another reason it's always a good idea to keep a few extra packets of Nottingham or US-05 on hand. Every once in a while, you may need to repitch, and they're both very versatile and mostly flavor-neutral.

This is s23 i got a pack online last
ngt at 2 am but should i run to the local shop and do it tonight?

ya i got it... i stoped thur the L-B-S picked up two packets of s23.... it sux... i almost had my 2nd brew perfect. The wart looks and smells so much better then the first batch... and i tossed the yeast down the drain.... man oh man

but I learned and it only took 2 times.... is there anything else i missed b4 i do this ageain in a few months?

boil.... cool....yeast.. ferment.... racking cane carboy... sugar bottle cap.

maybe i should do the same kind the octoberfest lager a 3rd time to compair.....

Back