10-10-08 Beer Haul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Went to the liquor store today. I went across town today to a different location, a larger store. I was planning on them having a bigger selection. They did, and they didn't. A few of the beers that I had in mind they either didn't carry, or were sold out. It seems that each location carries a slightly different selection. Bummer, because I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the "buy 6 or more, get 10% off" deal. Unless I buy 6 at each store:D.

Here's the haul for this week:

hurr_001.jpg

From Left to Right:
  • Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout 4 pack
  • Rogue Old Crustacean Barleywine Style Ale
  • Rogue Brutal Bitter
  • Traquair Jacobite Ale
  • Anderson Valley Brother David's Triple
  • Deschutes Hop Henge IIPA
  • Deschutes 20th Anniversary Wit
  • Black Flag Imperial Stout
  • and yes.....a sixer of Budweiser American Ale. I decided I would give it another shot.
Also picked up a bottle of Riesling and some killer Angus ribeyes. SWMBO and I are having a nice little dinner tonight....she just turned 25 on Wednesday.

I am interested in how your Deschutes 20th Anniv Wit is, as I have had 3 bottles of it now. 1 of them was great, the other two have left a very bitter acidic citrus taste in my mouth that didn't end for hours.

That looks tasty. I've had most of those and enjoyed several. What's with that red thing on the right of the piture though? I can't quite make that out, is it,....it is! I've always wondered what the impersonation of a micr-brew would look like!

I am interested in how your Deschutes 20th Anniv Wit is, as I have had 3 bottles of it now. 1 of them was great, the other two have left a very bitter acidic citrus taste in my mouth that didn't end for hours.

I'm pretty bummed. I just opened it and it is skunkier than a Heineken. It is terrible. Like marijuana skunky.

I have heard that this particular liquor store likes to leave beer in the hot storage room when they don't have room in the fridge for it, but I have never gotten a bad bottle from them before.
Well I have now. I don't even want to finish this thing, it's awful. I'll have to buy another one elsewhere and give it another try.

and here's dinner:

hurr.jpg

16+ oz Angus ribeye (nice and rare)
Steamed corn on the cob
Roasted red skin potatoes
Stuffed Grape Leaves

Damn.

I don't even want to finish this thing, it's awful. I'll have to buy another one elsewhere and give it another try.
I'm 120 miles from a store with anything but Bud and Coors....WE have to drive for miller.
I'd love to some day have the option to take it back to them.,...and tell them that I'm returning a beer that they ruined.

Sorry about the beer, man. Dinner looks great, though. I haven't had stuffed grape leaves in a while.

Nice haul,
you've got a few of my favorites, a few that are on my list to try, and ...
one other...
Anyway, have you had the Old #38 from Northcoast? Old Rasputin is fantastic, but imagine all that goodness, but drinkable enough that you can reasonably go through several in a sitting. Definitely my favorite stout.

Here's mine for the weekend
1010haul.jpg
[/IMG]
The Averys are already gone. I've had the Ale to the Chief and wanted more. The 15th Anniversary was a first for me and the neighbor. We are both heading back for more.
Alesmith Anvil and Wee Heavy= established favorites
Smithwicks = New session beer obsession
Bison Red = Liked their Saison and the proceed from this one go to fight cancer, so...
Cheers Brotha :mug: have a good weekend.

That's like 3 meals for me. Looks good tho. :p

it is a big dinner for sure......But that's the highlight of my weekend. I get to drink a few good beers and eat a couple big dinners. I usually do a 12+ mile bike ride on Sunday, and ride to and from work all week.

And yes, I haven't had stuffed grape leaves in a long time. I saw them at the deli and I had to have them. They were swell.

......back to Rock band......:cross:

Hey I have those same plates.

Anyhow.. please let me know what you think of Rogue's Old Crustacean, I've been eyeing it for awhile now but wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the $17 for it. I'm used to spending less than that on good wine.

I like Old Crustacean. I bought some to drink and some to age. The ceramic bottles are cool and yeah, they are spendy but I think the quality is ther eto justify the cost.

Anyhow.. please let me know what you think of Rogue's Old Crustacean, I've been eyeing it for awhile now but wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out the $17 for it. I'm used to spending less than that on good wine.

Yeah, SWMBO has been bugging me for them forever....so I finally caved.

I won't be opening the old crustacean for a while....it is one of my cellar beers.:D

How's the Brett character on that? I'm curious, I have one but I haven't chilled it yet. Everything Avery I have had rocks my world, so this beer has gotta be good...

Fan-Fcuking-tastic. You don't have to hunt for the tartness on the palate. It is right there, but is perfectly balanced with a sweetness and spicyness that makes this a surprisingly easy drinking beer for the flavors involved.

Fan-Fcuking-tastic. You don't have to hunt for the tartness on the palate. It is right there, but is perfectly balanced with a sweetness and spicyness that makes this a surprisingly easy drinking beer for the flavors involved.

That's another beer that I would suggest cellaring. It is damn good now, but that brett character should continue to develop for quite some time.

Latest posts

Back