Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me 2 large oranges for the 5G batch. You'll just be extra orangey.:mug:

Yep, I used 2 large ones too. Came out to 3.8oz.

mmm.....
P1040879-800.jpg

Well, I did throw the 4 oranges into the juicer after zesting them. I guess that was a preview of how the beer will taste :)

If any of you who brewed this recipe this weekend are interested in swapping a few bottles, let me know. I'd love to see how your versions turned out.

Well, I did throw the 4 oranges into the juicer after zesting them. I guess that was a preview of how the beer will taste :)

If any of you who brewed this recipe this weekend are interested in swapping a few bottles, let me know. I'd love to see how your versions turned out.

PM's sent.

I am in for a little swap too.

Yeah...the flour is just to insure the beer stays hazy, regardless of how long it might sit in a chilled keg or bottle.

I've had judges sample my wits before (in casual company) and even though they still tasted great after several months, they were crystal clear and that can detract from the whole "wit" experience. The flour addition is something I heard on Jamil's show.

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

I poured the spice mixes into the hop bag with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Then I tied off that bag and let it sink to the bottom of the kettle as I cooled the wort. I wanted to let those spices (and hops) steep for the extra 15 minutes.

I pitched a simple slurry of Safale-05 from a prior batch when the wort hit 76 degrees. A bit warmer than usual, but the higher temp will add some slight esters I want.
that's for 10 gal right? 1/2 that for 5?

Brewing this one tomorrow, thanks for the recipe BM it sounds delicious!
If you guys get a swap going shoot me a pm, I would be in no doubt!

At what time do you add the flour to the recipe? Looks like after the spices in the pics, flameout? Working on this one right now, smells greeeaat!

At what time do you add the flour to the recipe? Looks like after the spices in the pics, flameout? Working on this one right now, smells greeeaat!

Mix that flour with a cup or two cold water and toss it in anytime just before flameout. Usually like about 5-10 minutes to boil.

Did a hydro reading last night after 1 week in the primary and all I can say is WOW!!! I had to have the SWMBO try it and her quote was "hmm... that't not that bad" I told her, well it's warm and it's not carbed and it is really young but check this out, she goes, "Why is it not carbonated" uhhh....

Anyways, I can't wait to get this in the keg and oh yeah the gravity was at 1.010

Thanks BM!

1010? Dang. I took a hydro last night as was at 1014 (Sample was 68* though. So I guess that fixes itself to). I still have a HUGE Kraussen though. I'm gonna give it two more days and check it again. That 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast is one sticky mess yeast!
Hydrometer smaple wsa pretty tasty. Realy looking forward to chilling and carbing this to drink when the heat starts beating down. With would make a very good pool side beer:) Color was just what I was looking for. Vry Hoegaarden esque.

Mine's been 1 week at 68*F.
OG was 1042, I buggered my water additions due to a lack of basic counting skills:(. Appearently 7+1 =8 not 7. wish I'd known that before brew daY! :D

Just got the ingredients to make another batch of this, I might tone down the coriander a little this time (just personal preference) but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Oh I fermented with Nottingham (all I had at the time) last time but this time I'm using a Wit yeast so it should be a little different.

I used US-05. Ended up with 5 gallons of 1.047 (temp corrected) into the fermentor on 4/10. Checked on 4/16 and it was at 1.012. Sample tasted good. It's still in the primary and although I haven't taken another sample, I'm sure it's done. Fermented around 68*F for the first few days and then dropped to the mid 60's. Now it's sitting around 62-64*F.

I'll probably leave it until the weekend and then bottle it.

Didn't get a OG reading on this one, I know shame on me. Was bottling also and a wee drunk towards the end. I always ferment for so long anyways it should be fine. Planning on leaving in primary for around 3 weeks and maybe a week or less in secondary. Used the Belgian Wit yeast on this one.

Oh and the color is awesome

Didn't get a OG reading on this one, I know shame on me. Was bottling also and a wee drunk towards the end. I always ferment for so long anyways it should be fine. Planning on leaving in primary for around 3 weeks and maybe a week or less in secondary. Used the Belgian Wit yeast on this one.

Oh and the color is awesome

Curious as to your reason for using a secondary and an overall 4 week timeframe before bottling for this? Especially using a beglian wit yeast, cloudy is a good/proper trait for this beer, secondary would take away from it, plus beers like this are best consumed young. I'll be kegging this weekend after a two week primary.

I think I found the sweet spot for this beer is right around 3-4 weeks.

That will be perfect then for my 2 week primary and starting to sample after on gas for 1 week, Fully consume once on gas for 2 weeks. Although I tend to only have ~1/4 keg left some fully consume time....:cross: Must be a hole in my kegs and drunken mice in my keezer.

That will be perfect then for my 2 week primary and starting to sample after on gas for 1 week, Fully consume once on gas for 2 weeks. Although I tend to only have ~1/4 keg left some fully consume time....:cross: Must be a hole in my kegs and drunken mice in my keezer.

very funny, I can just picture those little rodents stumbling around.

I plan on kegging mine this weekend too and bottling a few to send off. Msg me your address so we can swap if you still want to.

Curious as to your reason for using a secondary and an overall 4 week timeframe before bottling for this? Especially using a beglian wit yeast, cloudy is a good/proper trait for this beer, secondary would take away from it, plus beers like this are best consumed young. I'll be kegging this weekend after a two week primary.

I like to secondary all my beers for at least a day or so simply because straight from primary to bottling bucket I tend to get too much sediment. By the time I bring the carboy out of my closet and onto the counter everything is mixing around and I dont want too much yeasties in my final bottles. The secondary pretty much gets rid of this problem. I do see what your saying with this style of beer though.

very funny, I can just picture those little rodents stumbling around.

I plan on kegging mine this weekend too and bottling a few to send off. Msg me your address so we can swap if you still want to.

I'm still deciding if I want to bottle carb some to send out or just keg it all, let it carb. Kegging it all and filling from the BMBF would add two weeks to sending time, but even if I bottle carbed sent, they'd still be sitting at your house for 3 weeks conditioning. So drinking time would be cut by 1 week and I'd be confident it would be properly carbed when you opened the bottles. I think I'll do this. So I'll be ready to mail my bottles out the week after May 9th.

I'll be making up a batch of this tonight for my wife. I am going to pitch it on a WLP380 cake so it should come out very nice!

OT
I saw your sig line episode last night! haha

I saw it also! I think your the first person to figure out where it came from, or at least comment on it.

Back to the topic, i'm in the middle of my boil. Everything is going good except for i took my hop and just tossed them in the boil without remembering my hop sack. So now i have to go dig around for my colander i used to use and clean it...

I brewed this on monday and it's bubbling away and smells amazing :rockin: The problem I had was that I didn't realize until I was brewing that I was out of coriander so I couldn't add that. Do you guys think I should add a little to the fermenter or just forget about it.

I brewed this on monday and it's bubbling away and smells amazing :rockin: The problem I had was that I didn't realize until I was brewing that I was out of coriander so I couldn't add that. Do you guys think I should add a little to the fermenter or just forget about it.

Crush some up. Steep it in two cups of boiled water for 15 minutes, and add it to the fermenter after vigorous fermentation has finished. It'll be just fine.

Well I had to take a sample from the keg last night even though it has only been on for 3 days.

:off:That is after I trouble shot a clog somewhere, I ended up having to take off the faucet and plugging on the quick disconnect and was stuck for about 2 seconds, then a fire hose of this wit started shooting out the shank onto my pool table and floor.

Anyways, once all that was done and I tasted the beer, yummy, it is still young (about 17 days from pitching yeast) it was still great. actually, I had the SWMBO take a sample and this is the first time she went for 2 sips and says hmm... that's really good. I will turn her yet.

I have made a handful of wits but none with any peper like this one. I am deffinetly going to have to try this recipe. Maybe Next weekend.

Can the oils from the orange zest effect head retention?

Back