Clear Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimg

Reaction score
I made a nice AG American Brown this weekend, but I forgot to add the irish moss before the end of the boil. Not my first time making this stupid mistake.
Anyway, I know a little cloudiness is no big thing, but I would like to try and clear it up. Can anyone give my a primer on fining. Kind of a who, what, where and when. Thanks much.

Cold crashing after fermentation is complete will help a bunch. I don't have a fridge for this so I just stick my carboys out in the garage(40-50) in the winter. You can also add gelatin, but I've never gone that route. There's a description of how to do it somewhere around here, maybe you can find it with a search.

When you cold crash a primary how long do you leave it in the cold before syphoning to a bottling bucket?

Also, does cold crashing in anyway affect how well or how long beer conditions in a bottle? After all cold crashing could be putting the yeast into suspension, right? So wouldn't that affect at least how long it takes to prime the beer in bottles?

If you cold crash for 2 days that is sufficient, and will still leave plenty of yeast in suspension. Keep in mind that when you cold crash and then bottle, it will take longer for your beers to carbonate. Just follow the mantra "3 Weeks at 70 Degrees" and they will carbonate fine. Alternately, you could pitch a packet of nottingham yeast in your bottling bucket...but it's really unnecessary unless you have a LONG secondary.

Back