Peated Malt, will the smokiness fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
So I brewed this recipe a friend made up. His was great, a nice smoky flavor that one first sip was a smack in the face but quickly became enjoyable, he did a 23L batch, and I scaled it up to 42L.

The recipe is about 6.75% peated malt with the rest being made up of pale malt and munich. I tasted it last night (its only about half way through fermentation) and it was REALLY smoky.

Does the smokiness fade a bit with age and as fermentation wraps up? Or should I have not scaled up the peated malt equally with the rest of the grain bill?

6.75% is a lot of the peated malt!

I have used some in an amber, and kept it around 0.5%... I can see getting more in a smoked porter, but almost 7% sounds WAY high.

Might check some recipes on this site and see what others are using.

I *almost* did the same thing. I picked up Peat instead of rauch malt. From what I have read, it may actually increase with age. Better drink it up!

One resource for the description of the peat says :

"Brings a peat smoked character to your beer. Use 4-8 oz., mashed with other grains, per 5 gallons of beer. 2.8 Lo
"

My LHBS said a pound in a 5 gal was A LOT.

I just posted a recipe for English Brown Ale which had .32% (.5 oz) of peated malt and you could definitely tell it was there. In this case it added a very nice flavor but I couldn't imagine it with much more. A little goes a long way with peated malt

Yes, I used 8 ounces in my 2003 Old Bog water & it was drinkable after about 2 years. Really nice after five years.

Cut that to 2 oz. in the 2005 batch.

It is always difficult (for me, anyway) to judge the finished flavor based on a sample taken during fermentation. Beer flavors evolve over time, and carbonation also affects flavor.

You liked your friend's recipe - yours is simply a larger batch of the same beer, right?

Let it finish - if it still too strong when you are ready to package the beer, I would make another batch of beer without the peated malt and blend the two.

i've kegged half of this as it did mellow quite a bit since the first sampling. i also tried mixing a dash of whiskey with some and it strangely mellowed the smoke and was quite appealing.

i'll see what happens when this keg is carbonated.

cheers!

Back