Holy explosive fermentation Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
So I brewed up a german witbeer, and decided to put it on top of a yeast cake that I just racked off of, and let me tell you this is a wheat beer fermentation with legs and running shoes. Normally wheat beer fermentations are big, but putting this on a yeast cake made it even bigger, it also didn't hurt that I O2ed the hell out of it and had only cooled the wort to 80 degrees before putting it in the carboy.

I litterally put the carboys in my basement, went to go clean up and within 45 minutes fermentation had started and the krausen was coming up to the top. And now my blowoff tubes are full and my sanitizer has more beer than sanitizer in it, wow yikes and I just felt so happy I needed to share.

Ok I got back from a night out and just checked on my babies, the fermentation was so violent that it blew off the carboy cap... this is with a blow off tube, not an airlock. It sounded like a machine gun going off earlier, so much Co2 being produced, and the hose just couldn't handle that much air passing through, what a mess.

Back