Please Critique this Dark Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a dark mild soon. I've looked at two recipes (Jamil's and [thread=52776]Orfy's[/thread]) and read what Ray Daniels has to say, and this is what I've come up with:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
76% British Pale Ale
10% Carastan (30L)
10% Crystal 60
4% Chocolate

Mash at 152º for 60 mins; 1qt water per pound of grain.

OG = 1040

25 IBUs of Willamette at 60 mins

Ferment at 68º with Windsor dry yeast for 2 weeks, then bottle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to keep the Carastan in there because I think it fits, but mostly because I have 1# I need to use up (its almost 9 months old). But if you don't think it works, then please say so! I wonder if the Carastan and Crystal 60 are too similar, and maybe I should go with more Carastan, drop the Crystal 60, and add a small portion of Crystal 120 instead. Not sure, that's why I'm asking!

I chose Willamette because I have a bunch of it and it's a relative of Fuggles, but I also have U.S. Goldings and Northern Brewer to choose from.

All input is welcome!

:mug:

If it were me I'd mash a little higher (at least 154) and maybe bump it up to 1.2qt/lbs. Willamette is a US varient of Fuggles so it will definitely work well.

I'm a big fan of Orfy's Mild Mannered ale so this one looks really tasty to me! :mug:

This looks similar to Bateman's DM. If you are interested in Milds in general, I recommend Sutula's "Mild Ale" from the Classic Beer Style Series.

david_42 said:
This looks similar to Bateman's DM. If you are interested in Milds in general, I recommend Sutula's "Mild Ale" from the Classic Beer Style Series.
I wish you hadn't pointed that out. I ordered that... and figured while I was at it I'll get the stout book as well. Then while I'm there I may as well get Radical Brewing and Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles.

:drunk:

Ok, increase the mash temp and water/grain ratio.

I have thought about buying the Mild style book, but I'm going to try one first to see if I like it.

I've also found some recipes in the Almanac of Real Beer, but my first attempt will be this one, which is very similar to Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale.

Edit: I'll also change the hop additions to 45 mins and 15 mins like Orfy has in his Mild, while keeping the IBUs the same.

Personally, I wouldn't raise the mash temp, since you are using Windsor, and 20% crystal malt. Windsor attenuated about 68% for me in a 152 degree mash with a lesser percentage of crystal malt.

I guess it depends on what you want for an FG, but to me, Windsor seems to need all the help it can get to attenuate 70-75%.

mike_g08 said:
Personally, I wouldn't raise the mash temp, since you are using Windsor, and 20% crystal malt. Windsor attenuated about 68% for me in a 152 degree mash with a lesser percentage of crystal malt.

I guess it depends on what you want for an FG, but to me, Windsor seems to need all the help it can get to attenuate 70-75%.
Less attenuation will leave you with more sweetness, but with a higher mash temp you'll get a much nicer mouthfeel along with it. You will get some extra mouthfeel with the extra bit of fermentable sugars that are left but it's not quite the same (at least in my experience).

Because this is a smaller beer, I wanted a less attenuating yeast with a fair amount of character, which is why I chose Windsor (plus it's dry, which I like). But you make a good point, with all that Crystal it's going to be pretty sweet anyway. I'll go with Nottingham instead.

Daniels recommends a mash temp of "about" 153º (I actually have my copy with me at work...:) ) so I'll just go with that, but he doesn't give any guidance on water/grain ratio like he does with English Pale Ales. It probably doesn't matter that much anyway.

This recipe is turning into a version of [thread=52776]Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale[/thread], where Carastan is substituted for about half of the Crystal 60, and Willamette instead of Fuggles.

Latest posts

Back