Guy ****es Night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the imperials are still trying to keep F@wkes down!

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy F-awkes, Guy Fa-wkes, t'was his intent
To blow up King and Parliament.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
A penny loaf to feed the Pope
A farthing o' cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A f@ggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.
Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.
Hip hip hoorah!
Hip hip hoorah hoorah!

Looks like I need to get my fire pit roaring tonight also!

um, no...let the brits. I'll stick with George Washington.

America was involved in a struggle for its liberty, and the commemoration of Guy ****es stood for the opposite: government by fear, oppression of a minority, a celebration of arbitrary power. Guy ****es Day was the abnegation of the essential values of the Revolution. So the original George W. put it in an order: no more Guy ****es Day.

Order in Quarters issued by General George Washington, November 5, 1775:

As the Commander in Chief has been apprized of a design form’d for the observance of that ridiculous and childish custom of burning the Effigy of the pope–He cannot help expressing his surprise that there should be Officers and Soldiers in this army so void of common sense, as not to see the impropriety of such a step at this Juncture; at a Time when we are solliciting, and have really obtain’d, the friendship and alliance of the people of Canada, whom we ought to consider as Brethren embarked in the same Cause. The defence of the general Liberty of America: At such a juncture, and in such Circumstances, to be insulting their Religion, is so monstrous, as not to be suffered or excused; indeed instead of offering the most remote insult, it is our duty to address public thanks to these our Brethren, as to them we are so much indebted for every late happy Success over the common Enemy in Canada.

America, it was settled, would mark the old Guy ****es Day with a new tradition: the exercise of the Democratic Franchise. It was to be the day on which the rulers are held accountable to the people.

todd_k said:
time to throw in V for Vendetta!

Man that movie blew donkeys. I was expecting great things again from the Wachowski brothers (well actually now they're a brother and a tranny with an inverted thingy turned into a you-know-what), but that movie was horrible.

Why the phalk can't we types ****es?

If it doesn't fall on a weekend then it becomes a multi night celebration.
We've had Friday through Monday.

The Majority of organised displays and fires would of been on Saturday.

ohiobrewtus said:
Man that movie blew donkeys. I was expecting great things again from the Wachowski brothers (well actually now they're a brother and a tranny with an inverted thingy turned into a you-know-what), but that movie was horrible.

Why the phalk can't we types ****es?

Wow.... I completely disagree. I love the movie.

As for GW's take... From what I read he opposed what GFN had become, not for what it stood for. Fighting the tyranny of England sounds like something GW would have supported if not for the anti-Catholic symbolism it evolved into. Also, GW created Election Day because of it so it can't be all that bad.

todd_k said:
Wow.... I completely disagree. I love the movie.

As for GW's take... From what I read he opposed what GFN had become, not for what it stood for. Fighting the tyranny of England sounds like something GW would have supported if not for the anti-Catholic symbolism it evolved into. Also, GW created Election Day because of it so it can't be all that bad.

Right, that's how I take it too. Guy ****es Night, as it is, celebrates the state and its ability to foil revolutions...it doesn't celebrate Guy ****es, it celebrates his takedown. Maybe I'm off base, but that's how it seems to me.

Nope.
You are all wrong.

It's about blowing things up and setting things on fire.
It's not to celebrate anything.

It's an excuse to play.
There is no religious, moral, political or historical content to the celebrations.

orfy said:
Nope.
You are all wrong.

It's about blowing things up and setting things on fire.
It's not to celebrate anything.

It's an excuse to play.
There is no religious, moral, political or historical content to the celebrations.

Sounds like my kind of party.

Today is voting day here in Texas. I guess every State is different?

Didja vote Tx? I did a few days ago...

Seems to me like we need more holidays for just blowing stuff up and setting fires! :D

I vote on election day. I prefer to than early voting because early voting people tend to be slow on getting people processed.

I'd have to have one foot in the grave not to vote. I feel it's my duty.

I voted today. All local stuff... probably 75% of the candidates were unopposed....one office didn't even have any candidates, just 2 write in lines.

TxBrew said:
Today is voting day here in Texas. I guess every State is different?
Election day is always the second Tuesday of November. It is just in odd years some states do not have any seats up for election.

Evan! said:
um, no...let the brits. I'll stick with George Washington.

What a great story... too bad it isn't true.

According to wikipedia election day wasn't set until 1845. Up to that point it was anytime upto 34 days before the First Wed. in December, when the counts had to be completed.

Back