Newbie. Sitting on 1 year old mead. Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzyglasses

Reaction score
As the subject says, I started my first ever 5 gallon batch of mead last year (OG 1.100) when it was just too hot to brew beer.

6/30/12
12# clover honey
2.5 gallons water
Pitched Wyeast sweet mead then finished with champagne yeast.

Had great deal of difficulty getting it down to 1020 but it's been at that gravity for months now.

Tastes damn good as it is but looking to do alittle experimentation with 3-4 gallons of it with some different fruits. I think I'll leave a gallon of it as is and bottle it plain to get a base understanding of the honey I'll be using.

So, I've come across several pounds of strawberries that I'll want to use and from what I've read here I'll want to stabilize a portion of the finished mead with campden, rack on a few pounds of strawberries (or whatever other fruit I can come up with) and let it sit for 7-10 days then rack, let clear, then bottle. Does this sound about right?

:: OR ::

Do I want to rack onto strawberries without stabilizing and restart fermentation from the sugars of the fruits? Maybe add yeast to aid it since it's been sitting for a year and looks bright. This may take a few more months/year which will put it in jeopardy to have it done in September for a buddies wedding.

I also have a white mulberry tree in the back that's just about to drop it's berries. Anyone with experience with them? More than likely I'll spike a gallon with these and continue to do this every summer.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Scott

If it's at 1.020 it's not going to get any lower if it's been stuck there for such a long time. Campden doesn't kill yeast, so if you want to ensure that fermentation doesn't restart when you rack it on the fruit, you'll have to use potassium sorbate.

Back