Keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of keggle research. Is a false bottom necessary if I was going to stick with extract brewing 5-10 gallons? I assume a weldless ball valve, weldless thermo with sight glass would be a great start, correct? You can always add the FB later on correct? Specifically, what is the method or use that most commonly employees a FB?

Thank you!

False bottoms are typically for a converted keg being used as a mash tun. I don't see the need for them in a boil kettle. The standard ones aren't fine enough to filter out pellet hops. But may be I'm missing something.

False bottoms are typically for a converted keg being used as a mash tun. I don't see the need for them in a boil kettle. The standard ones aren't fine enough to filter out pellet hops. But may be I'm missing something.

I would just be using it for a boil kettle at this point in my hobby. I assume can build a perfectly functioning brewpot without it. Thanks.

my neighbor uses a false bottom to filter out his hops and he claims it works so i ordered one on ebay but have yet to try it. for sure it will filter out whole hops and i figure it should filter out most of the pellet hops which is good enough for me.

I invented a filtered dip tube that I will be trying on my sanke keg mash tun this weekend. I'm not sure if it will work or not on my tun, but I don't have money to make a false bottom right now. I had most of the stuff in my garage already, so it made sense to try and make something.. On a keggle I feel confident that my design would make a great hop filter.. Here it is;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/braid-filtered-pick-up-tube-sanke-tun-301262/

Back