Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mine yesterday. I ordered some welding magnets to attach the drip tray and still need to attach the lines to the inside of the collar, but she's pretty much done. Room for 6 kegs total (or 4 and a lagering carboy). Dual hinge so I can just open the lid for force carbing, tinkering, etc, or I can open the collar for loading and unloading.

3470984445_e31bf309a1.jpg

3471797606_0e871c7966.jpg

Interesting... is there any reason the two center shanks are longer than the two outer ones?

The longer ones are what I ordered from kegconnection when I thought I was going to convert a refrigerator. I got the shorter ones for free and have gotten everything else for a 4 tap setup. It would be nice if they were all shorter; maybe I'll send the long ones back and swap them out.

Interesting... is there any reason the two center shanks are longer than the two outer ones?

The longer ones are what I ordered from kegconnection when I thought I was going to convert a refrigerator. I got the shorter ones for free and have gotten everything else for a 4 tap setup. It would be nice if they were all shorter; maybe I'll send the long ones back and swap them out.

I had a similar problem. I ordered the kit w/out thinking about the shanks so some are longer. Sure wish they were all short as I sometimes have to remove a rear keg to make room to change a front one..

Thinking I am likeing the shank way to go more than the tower way to go...I am already committed to the tower since thats what I have, but the next keezer is going to be of the shank/collar variety.

2rh3gpw.jpg

It is not the most stylish of beasts, but it gets the job done. The top is finished with chalk board spray paint. I went with the chalk board finish not only to keep track of what is on tap but it also serves as a score board for my dart board that is only 2 feet away. :tank:

I finished this project last weekend. It is funny how this idea started out a month ago simply as me wanting a unit to lager in...than a larger than expected free freezer offer later, I have a unit to lager in along with 4 cornies and room for a full barrel.

Thinking I am likeing the shank way to go more than the tower way to go...I am already committed to the tower since thats what I have, but the next keezer is going to be of the shank/collar variety.

Dittoo I built a tap box to incrporate in a bar build, but am thinking of removing it and changing to a collar mounting tap design.

I finally got my kegerator finished up! It is an Oster 5.0 cubic foot fridge. I decided to go with the Irish Coffin Style setup rather than the tower.
IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

As you can see, I have a high tech drip tray. Okay, it's just a heating vent grille that I picked up at Menard's, but I am going to paint it with a metallic finish to match the Perlicks and make a wooden base for it.
IMG_0969.jpg

I lined the inside of the Irish coffin with 3/4" styrofoam board. I can remove the insulation and cut new pieces if needed. I also have a 12 volt fan mounted in a project box inside the fridge compartment that directs cold air into the Irish Coffin via a length of vinyl tubing. I decided not to wire the fan into the fridge. Instead, I ran the wire to an AC-to-DC power supply that I plugged into the wall outlet.
IMG_0974.jpg

The air entering the draft box is at a nice 40 degrees.
IMG_0976.jpg

At the moment, I only have one beer on tap, a classic American pilsner that I made using a cereal mash with polenta in addition to pilsner malt.

Nice but that wouldn't work for me. A little low... a few(1, 2, 7) in and I'd end up on the floor after trying to pull a pint.

I agree...plus the faucets will be dripping on the floor. A tower would be a big improvement.

Looks great otherwise though...fits beautifully into the kitchen! :mug:

I finally got my kegerator finished up! It is an Oster 5.0 cubic foot fridge. I decided to go with the Irish Coffin Style setup rather than the tower.
This is a really nice looking execution and would flow nicely into a bar build in the future. Nice work.

I like the cabinet face. Would also lend it self nicely to a bar build.

Apparently the ability to incorporate into a bar build is high on my list of Keezer requirements.

Pool and beer. Who needs a bar!

Exactly! Just pull out the pretzels and I am good to go :mug:

I like the cabinet face. Would also lend it self nicely to a bar build.

Thanks, I had that in the back of my find too. But I also kept the crappy plactic tower with crappy tap in case I ever want to sell it. I paid considerably more from what is on top of the fridge than the actual fridge part.

Well, maybe hire a hot waitress to serve drinka and shoot everyone down. Then it will really feel like a bar.

:)
Yeah, now I am remembering why I don't like bars or at least a lot of them. I tried to make my house have all the entertainment I need so I don't have to:

• Listen to some sob or crazy story from the person next to me
  • Get hit on by some 60 year old lady
  • Have bud light
  • get in a bar fight
  • Listen to a baby cry while I am trying to watch a movie
  • Not drink beer while I am watching a movie
  • the list goes on

:)
Yeah, now I am remembering why I don't like bars or at least a lot of them. I tried to make my house have all the entertainment I need so I don't have to:

• Listen to some sob or crazy story from the person next to me
  • Get hit on by some 60 year old lady
  • Have bud light
  • get in a bar fight
  • Listen to a baby cry while I am trying to watch a movie
  • Not drink beer while I am watching a movie
  • the list goes on

damn straight!
But I do like to get out to the local pub on brit bike night and shoot the **** once in a while, and see what everyone's riding.

I just went through all 95+ pages. I must say you guys do some good work. I have started the engineering on my bar and you guys have some great ideas that I will be using.

Storm

Humann Brewing, What fridge did you use? Nice job BTW looks nice.

I have to look but I think it is a beer meister kegerator. I got it off craigslist for $160 with a 5lb co2 tank and crappy plastic tower/tap.

I spent $260 on 3 perlick 525SS, 100% SS shanks and the 14" SS tower.

Two questions for everyone.
1) What sort of insulation do you recommend for a kegerator door? After I took off the plastic door bottle holder thing there is very little to no insulation and need a recommendation for a insulation that is thin enought to work and give me enough room for the keg?

2) What method is best to find the best area to cut the opening for the tower at the top of your kegerator? I have an Admiral 04037 about 4 cf frige and can't find a manual to direct me where certain major lines go so I don't puncture them.

Thanks in advance,

Once I download pictures I will post.

pjk49202
There are 4x8' foam insulation panels at your local homedepot/lowes/etc in different thicknesses giving different R values. see what will fit.

So I couldn't sleep last night. Instead of going out to the garage and being productive on my actual keezer build, I built it in sketchup. At least I have a decent visual now of how it might look.

It is a small 5 cf freezer that fits 3 cornies, with a tall collar. I was trying to figure out how to cleanly furnitureize the lid, until I realized I don't need the original lid. So I'm making one from scratch, and putting the faucets on that. I cut some sections out of the 2x10 collar that I'll fill with expanding foam to help cut down on the weight. I'll try to remember to take some pics of construction.

Here's the sketchup model I made:
keezer_sketch.png

...why make the opening section so heavy and cumbersome. leave the taps below the opening.

3 reasons: It makes for a shorter distance to lift kegs in (the base is only about 32"). The shanks will be out of the way when changing kegs, so no risk of damage. I think it looks better with a taller lid, than it would with a tall base and a small lid.

I worked on it a little last night and removed a lot of unnecessary material from the collar. I don't think it will be overly heavy when finished. Thinking back, I could have just used 2x4s top and bottom with risers at the corners to get the similar results.. oh well. I'll keep that in mind for when I upgrade to a 10+ keg freezer...if I'm ever allowed.

Lucky
That's tall, is it tough to get your kegs in and out?

Yup, tall indeed. I wanted the taps at about chest height for an easy pour.

Getting the kegs in isn't easy, but it isn't too hard. I use a small step stool to stand on and lift the kegs by the top and bottom. I lift the keg over the side then lower it with my right arm like you would if you were doing a dumbbell curl. I do work out occasionally (OK, very occasionally) so that helps a little.

I've now got the unit in the house in a small room off the hallway so I'm looking for something to make hauling the kegs in and out easier. I'm thinking about installing something like this on the ceiling so that I don't have to lift the kegs over the side of the keezer.

Totally stoked about my new cheap stainless driptray from BarProducts.com. On recommendations from BM and a few others I picked the 19" drip tray up, but I had my doubts about it's construction. Turns out, it's a great unit! Very sturdy, nice looking, and just $22 delivered to my door in about a week. Here is a link and some pics...highly recommended.

I went to Lowes and picked out some galvanized angle brackets and some stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Drilled two small holes in the bottom of the pan and 4 in the fridge door.

$14.95 + tax + s/h:
Stainless Steel Drip Pan

DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0172.JPG

That is a great drip tray. I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I just drilled holes and mounted it without the angle brackets knowing that there will never be any weight set upon it. I just didn't want any drippage on the hardwood floors in my office. Nice setup though, top notch.

Back