Adding flavor to a Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMitten

Reaction score
I recently got a recipe for a Newcastle clone. It's going to be my first batch and I was wondering if there were any tricks/ingredients that may add some flavor.

I like Newcastle, it's not a bad beer. I would just like my first beer to have more kick than that. Any ideas? Nothing overly ambitious as I am new to the scene.

Any help would be grand. Thanks,

BadMitten

Depending on the variety of brown ale that you are looking to make you have several options. I just finished an American Brown which my wife thinks is one of the best browns she's ever had. If you look in my threads there is a post on a July 31st double brew day with the recipe. It uses Golden Promise, Maris Otter, Crystal 60, Crystal 77, Chocolate, and Special Roast malts. I ended up using White Labs WLP013 London Ale which fermented the entire 1.060 batch in 3 days. The beer is smooth as can be with just enough roasty character to balance the significant hop character. Special Roast is a dangerous secret weapon at 2.5-5% of your grist bill.

Despite finishing so quickly, I still allowed 2 weeks for the yeast to clean up after themselves. For the third week, I dialed my fermentation fridge down into the 50's to give it sort of a mini-lagering period. It is so smooth and clean for an ale. Delicious beer.

Back