2011 Wisconsin state fair homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

governorkc

Reaction score
anyone else enter this competition? Have received your score sheets? I have not gotten mine yet. In the info packet it says they will be mailed 2 weeks after the competition, which was May 14th.

This is the first competition that I have entered so I don't know how long these typically take. I am anxious to read them.

If anyone cares I did take 1st place in the fruit beer category.

I did not enter...that is why you won! j/k. Seriously, Grats on the 1st place! :mug:

Just for clarification here... The State Fair Competition is ok to have, but any other competition is not?

I think we need some clearer explanations of the laws because I hear 1 set of people saying one thing about contests, festivals, and traveling with homebrew being banned, but some of the big profile events are going on.

I mean yea I know its all about the $$$ but I'd kinda like to know what I can and cant do, and what to expect if I do it any way.

Just for clarification here... The State Fair Competition is ok to have, but any other competition is not?

I think we need some clearer explanations of the laws because I hear 1 set of people saying one thing about contests, festivals, and traveling with homebrew being banned, but some of the big profile events are going on.

I mean yea I know its all about the $$$ but I'd kinda like to know what I can and cant do, and what to expect if I do it any way.

Agreed.

I entered 4 beers and none placed. I was just wondering myself when I would receive my scorecards. Great job with the first place govenorkc!

I entered 4 beers and none placed. I was just wondering myself when I would receive my scorecards. Great job with the first place govenorkc!

Thanks Rich.

I emailed beerbarons last week asking when we should receive them, but haven't gotten a response.

I just emailed Mike Rice who was the coordinator according to the state fair website. Here is what I asked in the email:
"Can you tell me when the scoresheets will be mailed out for the State Fair Homebrew Competition? The website indicated they would be sent out 2 weeks after the May 14th show.
Thank you,
Rich Hill"

Here was his response:
"I am not sure that I like your tone.
I now have the sheets 3/4 organized. I could find yours and bring them to tonight's meeting if you like."

So I guess you need to belong to the Beer Barons to get your scoresheets.

I just emailed Mike Rice who was the coordinator according to the state fair website. Here is what I asked in the email:
"Can you tell me when the scoresheets will be mailed out for the State Fair Homebrew Competition? The website indicated they would be sent out 2 weeks after the May 14th show.
Thank you,
Rich Hill"

Here was his response:
"I am not sure that I like your tone.
I now have the sheets 3/4 organized. I could find yours and bring them to tonight's meeting if you like."

So I guess you need to belong to the Beer Barons to get your scoresheets.

Hmm was he joking about your tone?
I really want those sheets back. That's the reason I entered the competition. Maybe he means that you can get yours before everyone else as he isn't done organizing.

at least that's what i'm hoping for.

Seems like a strange response from Mike

Last year, we didn't get them until late September. seriously. even with the judging done in may, they didn't organize and release the sheets until after the fair in august.

with regard to legality.....yeah, complete BS.

Not sure about the joking either, I don't know him and I don't belong to the club. I'll just sit tight and wait.

I went to the state fair last night, saw the homebrew competition display. I snapped a picture because I am almost certain I will never see the ribbon. I have sent a couple more emails regarding the score sheets, with no response. I am pretty pissed about the whole thing.

6029039383_ee2fa43cf4_z.jpg

picture of the beautiful display...:confused:

I went to the state fair last night, saw the homebrew competition display. I snapped a picture because I am almost certain I will never see the ribbon. I have sent a couple more emails regarding the score sheets, with no response. I am pretty pissed about the whole thing.

just sit tight man. like i said before, i didn't get my sheets until september. i don't know Mike or why he came off that way in his email.

you will get your sheets, it just won't be till mid/late september. if you really want them, go to a beer barons meeting and talk to him directly.

caseyaredisappoint.jpg

They probably shouldn't say two weeks in the literature, then, eh?

EDIT: It's not something I'd get my panties in a bunch over, but taking 4 months to get the score sheets back is a bit ridiculous. I know it's unpaid/thankless work, but c'mon, people paid to get that feedback.

i agree, and I agree, and again, I agree....

but this is how it's been for...ever, i believe. i have no clue whatsoever how/why/who put two weeks in the lit. they don't mail them out till after the fair.

I didn't enter this contest, but four months to get score sheets back?!?! I'm sorry, that's flat out ridiculous.

If you can't handle the responsibility of running a homebrew competition, which includes mailing out scoresheets in a timely manner, don't host one.

For those of you that did enter this year, do the right thing, and don't enter next year. Sounds like the person running the show isn't up to the task.

I'm just sitting back and waiting too. It's not that important anymore. I would love to go to a meeting but they meet on wed and that is the one night I can't take off work. I probably won't enter this contest next year, plenty of other ones out there.

I didn't enter this contest, but four months to get score sheets back?!?! I'm sorry, that's flat out ridiculous.

If you can't handle the responsibility of running a homebrew competition, which includes mailing out scoresheets in a timely manner, don't host one.

For those of you that did enter this year, do the right thing, and don't enter next year. Sounds like the person running the show isn't up to the task.

this is how they CHOOSE to run it. They don't release sheets UNTIL AFTER THE FAIR!!

i don't know what's so f--king hard about this whole concept. I'm sorry everyone was misinformed, but this is the way it is, and always has been.

THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS ON THE ENTRY SHEET:

Plaques, cash prizes and ribbons will be mailed after the Wisconsin State Fair closes August 14, 2011.

hmmmm....my watch says Aug 11....but maybe if i b*tch a little more i'll get my ribbon now.

here is a new statement on the beer barons site:

NOTE: The State Fair staff decided that no score sheets would be mailed until the awards were also sent AFTER State Fair. The Beer Barons of Milwaukee only run the judging for the State Fair. The State Fair decides how the competition will be run. For examples of competitions that the Beer Barons run look at Schooner (along with Belle City Homebrewers and Kenosha Bidel Society) and Germanfest - those are "our" competitions. Next year Midwinter will join those.

The score sheets and awards will be sent out after the 2011 Wisconsin State Fair is over in mid to late August. If anyone has any questions about their score sheets please feel free to contact the Barons' coordinator. (We apologize that the contact form was not working until mid July)

@motobrewer previously the beer barons site said they would mail score sheets out within 2 weeks of the competition.

every time I run into one of the beer barons they reaffirm my decision not to become a member . . . or participate in their activities

Grats on the 1st place

NOTE: The State Fair staff decided that no score sheets would be mailed until the awards were also sent AFTER State Fair. The Beer Barons of Milwaukee only run the judging for the State Fair. The State Fair decides how the competition will be run. For examples of competitions that the Beer Barons run look at Schooner (along with Belle City Homebrewers and Kenosha Bidel Society) and Germanfest - those are "our" competitions. Next year Midwinter will join those.

The score sheets and awards will be sent out after the 2011 Wisconsin State Fair is over in mid to late August. If anyone has any questions about their score sheets please feel free to contact the Barons' coordinator. (We apologize that the contact form was not working until mid July)

@motobrewer previously the beer barons site said they would mail score sheets out within 2 weeks of the competition.

i really don't know why the said that in the first place. that seems like a big miscommunication to me. it's never been done that way.

every time I run into one of the beer barons they reaffirm my decision not to become a member . . . or participate in their activities

Grats on the 1st place

activites, like, writing, calling, pushing legislators to change our dated homebrew laws?

fyi, i'm not a member either

Grats on the 1st place

:( I'm a baron. But then again I'm new to the club. I actually go to learn stuff, and taste new things. And I think I'm nice. ;) But I've learned way more about beer here on this site.

p.s. I entered the Germanfest competition and due to my experience with the state fair competition was NOT expecting my score sheets for a while. (I was one of the lucky few to get mine at the meeting in june or july) So I was super pleasantly surprised to get my score sheets like a week after the competition. And they stuffed it with 2 tickets to MPM! Although I'm not sure if that was in everyones, or just cause I took 1st in weizen. So please don't blame the barons, we're not ALL like that.

Wow, just read all the negativity here. The State Fair folks are the ones who have held this up not the Barons or Mike Rice who is a bit of a joker, Im guessing he was joking when he talked about the tone of the email.

BTW everybody who judged, stewarded and coordinated this competition volunteered their time to have a fair competition. I think they should get kudos for doing a professional job. Since the judging happened in May, its too bad the Wis State Fair staff has decided to wait until after the fair is over to send ribbons and score sheets, I think its unfair to blame Mike Rice or the Barons because this is out of their control. From what I recall the results were posted online within hours of the end of the judging.

As a member of the Barons for almost a year now, I have met some very funny and interesting folks... and all of them very nice and willing to help share in homebrewing passion. I'm glad I joined and will continue to have fun every month at Cliffords. The 10% discount I get as a member of the Beer Barons at many fine LHBS stores in the Milwaukee area has saved me lots of $$$$.

Congrats on the win governorkc, I also had a first in the Cream Ale cat at State Fair and have not received my ribbons yet. Hopefully soon. Hang in there.

And mcbethenstein, I think you are nice and congrats on the Weizen win at Germanfest! See you next Wed.

I received my score sheets yesterday!!! so they did do a good job getting them out soon after the fair. No ribbon yet though.

BBB congrats on your 1st as well.

Got mine too, got a third for my IIPA but I think there were only 3 or 4 entries... lol. I'll take what I can get. The feedback was really awesome. I learned a lot.

I am not involved in the State Fair competition other than as a judge. I have been involved in the past as a member of the Beer Barons board and in running the Barons web site. What I can tell you is that every year the Barons get a black eye from running the competition for the Fair. Recently it was to the point where the Barons were shelling out about $300/year to pay for things the fair refused to like BJCP registration, lunch for judges, and tasting cups. I kid you not. The Fair sets the rules, procedures, and schedule.

This year we told them we would walk if they didn't run it right. They promised to pay for everything and send out the judging forms within a couple weeks of the judging. It obviously didn't happen. They decided nothing would go out until after the Fair.

While State Fair is a tradition, there are a lot of people in the club who don't want the Barons involved with the competition anymore. Even some of the most die hard fans of the competition are having second thoughts. If we walk, the competition goes away. My personal opinion is that it would be a good thing because the competition doesn't provide a good example to the new homebrewers who are the bulk of entrants and the Barons get the brunt of the blame.

The Barons also run the Schooner in Racine (in partnership with the Racine and Kenosha clubs), Midwinter, and now the Germanfest competition. We have had no complaints about any of those. As for the club overall, Our goal is to have the meetings be educational on all aspects of beer and brewing. Some are better than others. We also run classes to help people improve their brewing or become beer judges. People come from as far as Oshkosh and the Chicago area to attend our meetings and educational classes. We've also had great feedback on our World of Beer Festival (wobfest.com). As a club we may not be perfect but I think we're doing a few things right.

Mike Schwartz
Beer Barons member since 2000

Hey Schmartz, do you know Mike Rice? if so can you ask him why he doesn't respond to emails? I have sent a bunch of emails to him and the beer barons and have not once gotten a response.

I talked to Mike last night and he said he's been forwarding all of the e-mails with award problems to the state fair coordinator. Apparently there's been quite a few people who didn't get their award when they got the rest of their package. He has been letting people know that their message was received. I've been copied on a bunch of them.

He also mentioned his "I don't like your tone" comment. He thought the e-mail was from a Rich in the club who he's been friends with forever. Whoops.

Back