Favorite music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you who know me know that I"m a huge 90s grunge fan. My favorite, all time favorite, is Chris Cornell. I've seen him a number of times, in Soundgarden, solo, Audioslave, and solo again.

Did you ever have a day or a year where you "Fell On Black Days"? Or experience "Black Hole Sun"?

The sound quality is not good on this one, but I was in the audience (front row!) this night, so it brings back memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!

Although I've never seen him live, I seem to go back to my favorite works of Mark Knopfler, particularly "Sultans of Swing." That, and Zeppelin, but I came about this planet a bit too late to see them live.

I like Cornell's work, too. Good taste.

TB

I'm a Cornell fan as well, especially Soundgarden, but Temple of the dog was pretty awesome as well.

90's grunge is definitely up there in my top genres, bush, nirvana, alice in chains, stp, i could go on forever...

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan myself, but always enjoyed Soundgarden. I actually remember the moment I found out about them splitting up. I was a graduate school teaching assistant at Washington State University. One of the other TAs and I were sitting in the hall deciding on where we were going for drinks that night and one of my students wandered by and mentioned that Soundgarden just announced they were breaking up. I remember that they were coming off the success of Superunknown and I was kind of shocked to hear the news. I think I hoisted one or two pints that night for a damned good band!

The year I herniated 3 discs in my back while restraining a psychotic child (I work in mental health), had to fight with Texas workers comp almost daily (do NOT get hurt on the job in Texas!) to get the surgery/ any benefits I needed, finally got the surgery (9hrs on the table with a neurosurgeon and and orthopedic surgeon), then had to teach myself to walk again was a Black Hole Sun year for me for sure. I listened to a lot of grunge and punk from my youth that year. Miles, Coltrane, Parker, Monk, and Dizzy kept me sane though!!!

BUT, in hindsight I have to say it had a silver lining that was impossible to see while in massive pain and misery. It got me back to school and I just graduated with my Bachelors in Psych and am accepted into a Clinical Counseling grad program. My wife and I know we can get through just about anything after that year. I know exactly where I am going and why.

BTW, I got to see Alice in Chains on their first big tour ever. They opened for Clash of the Titans with Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth back in like '92. Now they are the only band of that tour (with the exception of an occasional Anthrax tune....I'm The Man :rockin:) I will even listen to.

I have always enjoyed classic rock and blues, but I can listen to and enjoy most any genre except rap and industrial. My music collection has everything from Patsy Cline to Primus, Tool to Tchaikovsky, Charlie “Bird” Parker to Charlie Daniels.

I have way too many “favorites” to list, but some of the top contenders would have to be The Godfather of Grunge-Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Cream, B B King, Muddy Waters, The Byrds, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix……..the list just keeps going on and on.

Oh yea, I also enjoy Chris Cornell. The bands Dave Grohl has been involved with aren’t too shabby either.

I have always enjoyed classic rock and blues, but I can listen to and enjoy most any genre except rap and industrial. My music collection has everything from Patsy Cline to Primus, Tool to Tchaikovsky, Charlie “Bird” Parker to Charlie Daniels.

I have way too many “favorites” to list, but some of the top contenders would have to be The Godfather of Grunge-Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Cream, B B King, Muddy Waters, The Byrds, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix……..the list just keeps going on and on.

Oh yea, I also enjoy Chris Cornell. The bands Dave Grohl has been involved with aren’t too shabby either.

We love Neil Young! We saw him solo in July, and Bob has been buying all sorts of old and kind of oddball Neil Young songs lately. He just bought a CD a couple of days ago from the late 70s.

I listen to all kinds of music except for country, but my favorite always seems to come back to 90s grunge.

I have had the honor of seeing Neil Young twice. First time was solo at the armory in Albany OR, just him and a semi-circle of guitars, banjos, piano, harpsichord, hammond organ and a table next to his chair with a cold beer on it. He had no set list, just played what he felt like and it was awesome. Every time an opening act walked out some drunk bikers would yell "Uncle Neil...Uncle Neil...Who Loves you Baby?" and variations on the theme until they realized it wasn't him!

The second time was with Booker T and the MG's as his back up. I thought that old man was gonna break a leg running around like a mad man during Rockin in the Free World...he was amped :rockin:

The whole time Booker was just pounding the ivories and grinning like a Cheshire cat!!!

If you like jazz, check out Jose James...pure gold in that voice while lookin like a Brooklyn hip-hopper. I love his cover of Park Bench People and he has done some really crazy stuff with a Japanese jazz band called SOIL & "PIMP" Sessions.

You can find him (and a whole lot more) really cheap and legal at GoMusic.ru. Russian site, gotta do some weird (and feels like very sketchy but I haven't had any problems in almost 10 years) international bank stuff to load your account. Songs for $0.10 and albums for $1-2.

We love Neil Young! We saw him solo in July, and Bob has been buying all sorts of old and kind of oddball Neil Young songs lately. He just bought a CD a couple of days ago from the late 70s.

I listen to all kinds of music except for country, but my favorite always seems to come back to 90s grunge.

I managed to find a pristine copy of his first album of The Ditch Trilogy-Time Fades Away, on vinyl, obviously, since it was never released on CD and had it converted to a CD. I have been listening to the second Ditch CD, On the Beach. I love the song Ambulance Blues!

My musical tastes run a pretty wide range. If you just look at who I've seen in concert you'll get an idea how wide. Yanni (don't you judge me! :D), Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons, Tori Amos, Heart, Flyleaf, Vanilla Ice, Saliva, Rob Zombie.

Yoop, I love Audioslave. I didn't listen to much Soundgarden when they were big but I like them too.

Terje

My musical tastes run a pretty wide range. If you just look at who I've seen in concert you'll get an idea how wide. Yanni (don't you judge me! :D), Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons, Tori Amos, Heart, Flyleaf, Vanilla Ice, Saliva, Rob Zombie.

Yoop, I love Audioslave. I didn't listen to much Soundgarden when they were big but I like them too.

Terje

Gotta respect anyone who saw Van Winkle, the Wilson sisters, and Zombie. That is quite a spread. You can find all the above in my collection and more. My concert list is a bit more limited -mainly Steve Vai, Umphrey's McGee, and Bela Fleck, but my collection is about as spread out as your concert list.

TB

When I think of Soundgarden I'm reminded of a story my buddy tells of when he was working a small club here in San Diego (Soma early 90's when it was downtown).

SG was playing and a bunch of obnoxious Skins were terrorizing the pit, as they often did.

I can't remember what prompted it, but some altercation broke out and Cornell felt the need to jump down off the stage and lay a big ol' combat boot across the face of one of the skinheads.

Immediately a bunch of (as he describes it) big ol' milk-fed flannel-wearing hairy dirtheads jump down from the stage to pull the lead singer away from the ma-lay, and difuse the situation (there were more of them and they were all much bigger).

Wish I was there! :rockin:

At last count, my music collection contains recordings of over 200 different female vocalists. My all time favorite album, the one I would take to a deserted island, is Court and Spark, Joni Mitchell 1972.

country music is about all i listen to. country music from '70s and '80s is what i like the best. :mug:

Back