Fermentor over 90 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipster27

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:
Brewed a pumpkin spice
OG was 1.056 finished at 1.012
Fremented in a conical fermentor
Pitched a 800 ML starter yeast at about 75 degrees
Krausen the next morning

Now the issue. I brewed on Sat, nice fermentation on Sun come Monday we had record heat and fermentor reached 90 degrees. Immediatly turned on the AC, wrapped the fermentor and dropped my sanitized wort chiller in to my wort and piped cold water through it.

Brought fermenting temp down to low 70s for a week or so. After the first week I opened the bottom of the fermentor and pulled the sediemnt out. I also built a "son of fermentation" cooler.

Week two, fermentation cooler was awesome, wort stayed at 68. End of week two I tranfered my beer to the keg and it just didn't taste or smell like a pumpkin spice.

My question is: should I scrap this batch? It obviously feremented as my OG/FG looks good and I pulled a bunch of sediment (dead yeast?) from both weeks.

What do you guys think?

What does it taste like? Maybe steep some more spices (if they are lacking) in some vodka and re-add? I'd imagine you've got lots of esters and fusels from the high fermentation temps.

What does it taste like? Maybe steep some more spices (if they are lacking) in some vodka and re-add? I'd imagine you've got lots of esters and fusels from the high fermentation temps.
Hard to describe a flavor, nothing bad, I guess kind of fruity, but nothing like I expect it to taste.

When I finished the boil and as I transferred to the fermentor it, it smelled awesome! :mug: I couldn't wait to taste it, but after that incident I'm not real happy about it. I'll let it age for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Lesson learned, and now that I have a fermentation cooler I don't think it will happen again :mug:

Yeah let it age. It might not become the best brew ever, but the yeast will probably clean a bit of that crappy, fruity taste.

Also watch out if you decide to overindulge. In my experience: high temperature fermented brew = migraines the next day. Even some commercial Belgians do this to me (Blonde d'Achouffe especially). Yes I'm a whimp.

Back