Need hops and yeast suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am looking for some hops and yeast suggestions for 5 gallon AG batch. Here is a list of some grains I have that are already mixed together (not paying close enough attention when I was at the LHBS - oops!) but not milled yet. I have also listed some hops I also happen to have on hand. I would really like some suggestions on what I should use for bittering and aroma based on what I've already got.

Grains:
10 lbs pale ale malt (2 row)
1 lb crystal malt 40 L (2 row)
1/4 lb chocolate malt (2 row)

Hops:
1 oz East Kent Goldings (UK)
1 oz Willamette

I also have a package of US-05, but would appreciate any other suggestions for some yeast alternatives.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

You're looking at about 14 srm, OG of 1.055 (assuming 75% eff)...I'd say shoot for an irish reddish ale.

try this for a hopping schedule:

.5oz EKG @ 60m
.5oz Wil @ 60m
.5oz Wil @ 15m
.5oz EKG @5m

Yields an IBU of 22.

As for yeast...what do you have access to? There are a million choices. If you can get it, and you have the time and resources to make a yeast starter, I'd try out an Irish Ale strain. If dry is all you can readily obtain, try out S-04.

Evan! - thanks for your suggestion, that looks like a good idea. As far as access to yeast goes, I do have a pretty good LHBS pretty close to where I work and they usually have a good selection. I think I might just try the US-04.

Back