First brew results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
Well, today was my first real test. Had a family get together and slipped a few people some of my first homebrew (a clone of Goose Island's Honkers Ale). I got great reviews from everyone. Most of them couldn't believe that I made it myself. It's kinda funny because I'm still unsure about it. It's a very palateable brew, but something's missing. Oh well, I'm very happy about the results, especially on my first batch.

I am curious though about the rest of it. I have inconsistent amounts of yeast settled in the bottom of the bottles. I have noticed that the bottles with less settled yeast are not as carbonated. Could a slight swirl of the bottles potentially wake the yeast and aid in carbonation? Also what difference will it make if I store the rest at room temperature as compared to in the fridge? Thanks for the help. I have already found more info here than I can process in the next few months. I guess I'll have to take it slow and practice my brewing technique often :ban:

After you drink fresh beer for a while you will be depressed with the beer you have been drinking.

I know without a doubt that if you have never had anything but McDonald's your whole life I could bring you to my house, fire up the grill, and make you a burger that will blow your socks off! I am not a chef but since my burger would not be commercially produced it would be more impressive.

I am by no means a brew master BUT I can offer you a beer that you will enjoy better than Budweiser to go with your burger.

Congratulations man ... ... now brew some appelwafen to get drunk off of while mowing the grass:D

Well, today was my first real test. Had a family get together and slipped a few people some of my first homebrew (a clone of Goose Island's Honkers Ale). I got great reviews from everyone. Most of them couldn't believe that I made it myself. It's kinda funny because I'm still unsure about it. It's a very palateable brew, but something's missing. Oh well, I'm very happy about the results, especially on my first batch.

I am curious though about the rest of it. I have inconsistent amounts of yeast settled in the bottom of the bottles. I have noticed that the bottles with less settled yeast are not as carbonated. Could a slight swirl of the bottles potentially wake the yeast and aid in carbonation? Also what difference will it make if I store the rest at room temperature as compared to in the fridge? Thanks for the help. I have already found more info here than I can process in the next few months. I guess I'll have to take it slow and practice my brewing technique often :ban:

How long did you let them condition? It makes sense that the bottles with more sediment in them are more carbonated as the sediment is a visual sign of fermentation debris and yeast. What procedure did you use to bottle? Did you bottle from the primary or did you transfer then go from secondary? Congrats on your first brew!! Sounds like you had success!!!:mug:

I bottled from primary after two weeks of fermentation. I used 5 oz of priming sugar in water. I put my sugar into my bottling bucket and tried to stir after racking my beer into it to mix in the priming sugar. I guess i'm kinda confused about how some bottles have very little sediment and the rest are fine. Would disturbing the bottles with a small amount of sediment potentially wake any surviving yeast to aid in carbing?

I bottled from primary after two weeks of fermentation. I used 5 oz of priming sugar in water. I put my sugar into my bottling bucket and tried to stir after racking my beer into it to mix in the priming sugar. I guess i'm kinda confused about how some bottles have very little sediment and the rest are fine. Would disturbing the bottles with a small amount of sediment potentially wake any surviving yeast to aid in carbing?

If they are undercarbed, that might help. But the best thing to do is just keep them at room temperature and give them time to condition and clear up. JThe sediment will become more tightly packed as time goes on, and with cold conditioning in the fridge. When you pour, you will have the sediment on the bottom and won't disturb the sediment so you can pour off a nice clear beer.

If they are undercarbed, that might help. But the best thing to do is just keep them at room temperature and give them time to condition and clear up. JThe sediment will become more tightly packed as time goes on, and with cold conditioning in the fridge. When you pour, you will have the sediment on the bottom and won't disturb the sediment so you can pour off a nice clear beer.

All of the beer is perfectly clear. No haze, no cloudiness, nothing. I used no irish moss, no gelatin, just beer. I wonder though,will they carb better at room temperature or in the fridge?

They will carb better at room temperature. If you put them in the fridge the yeast will go dormant.

Did you boil the water and priming sugar before adding to the bottling bucket? If not, this could help to explain the variance in carbonation. If you boil the water and priming sugar, it dissolves the sugar thoroughly. Cool, then add to the bottling bucket, mix with the green beer, and bottle.

If this is what you did, just ignore this post

That is precisely what I did, then I added it to my beer in the bottling bucket, and used a sanitized spoon to gently stir in the priming sugar mixture.

Back