Can anyone actually tell the difference between different priming sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBlagojevich

Reaction score
Some of the recipes I've got call for priming with DME, others call for priming with corn sugar or candi sugar... Some even call for half candi sugar, half corn sugar, etc!

But I don't think I've ever heard anyone say what the difference is in the results.

Opinions?

I'd say prime with corn sugar to style, or desired level, with corn sugar unless you have a rabid desire for reinheitsgebot adherence. Priming sugar usually only accounts for about two gravity points (.002 SG), so it won't really make much difference in the finished beer, and corn sugar is easy for yeast to ferment quickly.

I think its stupid to think that you can taste the difference. I mean you are adding less than 1tsp of sugar to each bottle. Thats such a minute amount of sugar compared to the POUNDS of total sugars that were added to the brew. Just use dextrose and be done w/ it.

Corn sugar (dextrose) is a monosaccharide of glucose.

DME (malt extract) is a combination of Maltose (polysacchaaride of two units of glucose), Maltriose (three glucose units), starches and dextrins.

Candi sugar is invert sugar.

What it comes down to is that priming sugar ferments easier than DME. It will carbonate faster and add no taste. DME is ok too. I've noticed that it takes at least twice as long to carbonate correctly. I've used both and prefer priming sugar.

and there's no difference as far as the character of the head or the carbonation?

Its such a small factor... I doubt it effects anything measurable. Head retention has more to do with the grain bill, like how much wheat and/or carapils is in there. >1tsp per beer of DME isnt gonna do squat to a beer that already has like 6-7 pounds of DME in it. Just cause its added in the bottle doesn't mean anything. The yeast will eat it and produce CO2 just the same as if it was dextrose. DME generated CO2 is identical to dextrose generated CO2. CO2 is CO2.

that's kind of what i thought.

i'd be interested in hearing dissenting opinions though, if they're out there. Why would tess and mark szamatulski in "beer captured" be so exacting in their priming instructions if it's more or less irrelevant?

I have tried different stuff for priming, Maple Syrup (Quebec made), And various Pure fruit juices, all of which added a peculiar taste profile in the end.

So for me, my experience tells me that it can have a small impact on the finished flavor using these, but i couldn't tell if there would be a significant difference between the priming you mentioned, probably not much if any.

I think you're putting too much thought into it.:D

If you are looking at an actual recipe for a commercial brew then you are using what the brewer used when they copnstructed their brew. Any deviation from one of these recipes and you are not going to get the exact same product. Does this make sense?

Now, if you use a recipe from one of us and it specifies a particular sugar to use then we are (only) identifying what we had on hand and used.

IMO, it really is that simple. :mug:

I have been meaning to do a side by side comparison. But in the end I am not sure i care enough to do the test.

Corn sugar seems to be the quickest and DME seems slower to me. But once again this needs to be tested.

But as far as tastes goes i think the only thing that made any difference to me was honey and that was so mild i may have imagined it.

I have never tried fruit juice and maple syrup yet for priming.

Back