Wife Approved Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ill_Biscuit

Reaction score
So, I've got this old fridge laying around in my parents basement, and Mi Padre's been on my a$$ to get it out of there since I moved out, like, 5 years ago or so. Now, I've been planning to convert it, but as life progresses, certain compromises must be made, aka SWMBO says no way is that horrid looking thing going in our house. So, in the name of keeping my man-berries (they're in a jar in her closet) I'm trying to figure out a way to make a pretty keg box using the guts of the fridge. I've done some A/C work on my car, and it's pretty much the same idea, right? The big thing thats worrying me is I know that after laying a fridge on it's side, you need to let it sit upright for 24 hours. Is that just for the compressor oil, or do the coils need to be in exactly the same configuration as they are? I'd like to turn the hot coils sideways to get a bar type thing that's longer than it is tall. Any input or advise would be appricated, and feel free to call me whipped, cause it's true.

I think you are correct about the compressor oil but I am not certain....

As far as making it pretty , why dont you just go buy some nice hardwood panels and rivit (or screw) them to the outside of the refer?

I have a little hotel fridge I am planning on doing this too. Just be careful not to puncture the inner lining or obstruct the capillary tubes.

Just a thought.

:p

yeah-- maybe some teak planking would look nice.

Or get really creative and get some cultured stone.

I thought about that, but I think I can make a semi-portable insulated box and retro-fit the cooling system into it. I've got a ton of radom construction materials laying around, and I'm thinking if I can turn it sideways and insulate it well, I can get 3 half kegs in there. I'll try to find a free CAD program and submit a draft for critique. Thanks for the input!

You can turn the hot coils sideways, provided they will still form a continious, downhill path. The compressor output has to connect to the highest point in the coil, so, as the refrigerant cools and condenses the liquid can flow to the expander.

1ill_Biscuit said:
I thought about that, but I think I can make a semi-portable insulated box and retro-fit the cooling system into it. I've got a ton of radom construction materials laying around, and I'm thinking if I can turn it sideways and insulate it well, I can get 3 half kegs in there. I'll try to find a free CAD program and submit a draft for critique. Thanks for the input!

On subject--- if you are going to be disassembling the cooling system and retrofitting it to a custom container, there are all kinds of opportunites for doing something really cool.

Like building a custom bar with the entire area underneath a refridgerator lined with your kegs.

buy the back end off a 57 chevy or the front end off a *fill in blank of favorite car* and custom craft yoruself a fridge in the container.

Got a 'spare' closet somewhere convienent? Wouldn't a built in fridge be freaking nifty?

Got game? Buy an old arcade game shell. Replace joystick with tap tower.

If you're willing to tear into a fridge to get at the guts, don't just make some lame custom enclosure that amounts to a fridge of a different shape. Go balls out and make something really cool.

Should you decide to paint it, it's not too hard if you have the equipment. Just make sure to wet sand it and keep it smooth. Also, you should prime any rusted spots.

kornkob said:
On subject--- if you are going to be disassembling the cooling system and retrofitting it to a custom container, there are all kinds of opportunites for doing something really cool...
If you're willing to tear into a fridge to get at the guts, don't just make some lame custom enclosure that amounts to a fridge of a different shape. Go balls out and make something really cool.

That's pretty much the plan, 'cept I rent at the moment, so I can't do anything permanent to the house, and it's got to fit into the spare bedroom/office/bar. I've got 3 oak barrels in the multitude of crap I left laying in my parents basement, so I'd like to put the faucets though those, and make the keg box out of oak veneer, with some nice trim. Put the whole thing on heavy duty locking casters and it's a party to go.:)

Edit: The barrels are small, maybe 1 gallon, about 10 inches deep if I remember correctly.

Ok, I've had it with this stupid free CAD program, here's the general idea
This with 3 small oak barrels instead of the towers, whole thing sheeted in matching plywood veneer, oak trim, and a irregular stone countertop with a thick layer of acrylic to make it easy to clean. Anybody think this is possible, or have I gone off the deep end?

Definitely possible. I ripped the compressor/coils/etc out of an old upright freezer and built an insulated box big enough to hold 4 corny kegs. Works great. It's going to go under my bar, if I ever get it done, so I just built it out of MDF and insulated it with 2" thick pink styrofoam.

Yours sounds much cooler!

I forget where I was, Houston I think, where I saw a spiggot which cooled enough on the outside of the thing and a nice thick coat of ice formed the outside..... looked awsome but I'll bet it was VERY expensive... and inefficient.:drunk:

Wish I had a picture.

Back