Apfelwein question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason it must stay in the carboy for 3 months?

I'd also bet that the question has been asked and answered in that thread already (though it is a Very long thread)...

My basic answer is that it probably would be ok, autolysis is a risk, but from what I've read it is an unpredictable risk (other than risk increases with time). It "could" kick in before 3 months but who knows...

Maybe someone here has done it... Again that answer may already lie in the epic thread you found...

It should be fine. Others have left it in for up to 4 months before. My latest batch is sitting in the fermenter at about 2 months now, just so I don't drink it while it's still green.

Im hoping that it would stay fine for 3 months. Im moving out of state and cant take my carboy and much of my equipment so I thought I would utilize it even though Im away. I could sell the stuff but why sell when I can make something? I would leave it until turkey day, keg while visiting the family, and then have it ready for x-mas.

Mine was sitting in the carboy for 3 months without a problem. I have tasted it green and enjoyed that as well.
Go to page 346 of the sticky to see Ed's response to this question.

Oh man how lucky! you should do like an RIS or something that needs to condition this long. That way you wouldn't even be tempted to drink it, simply because you can't. I wish I could forget about a brew in secondary for a while. But, so far I'm way too impatient.

Back