Alcatraz Brewing Review - and general brewpub chat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
It turns out I'm staying a mile away from Alcatraz brewing company which is located in a huge outdoor mall called "The Block" over here in Garden Grove, CA.

I loved the fact that a movie theater was 200 feet away so that I could imbibe to my heart's content and not have to drive immediately.

The atmosphere is nice. The place is definitely not a dive. I started with a 7 beer taster flight. I'm really shocked at the lack of variety at a brewpub in California.

1. Wheat.

2. Wheat + Blueberry extract.
If your'e going to offer a blueberry wheat, at least use SOME fresh berries to add a blue tinge. It was the same color as the base wheat.

3. Light Lager (coors light clone)
Seriously.. I understand needed a "light" offering but the blonde all below was so close, why bother.

4. Blonde Ale

5. Pale Ale
Very little hop aroma. They probaby increased the Blonde Ale hops by 3% on this one.

6. Amber Ale
This was the blonde ale with probably 2% Crystal 60 added. Very little melanoidin which I'd expect from an amber. Very low malt flavor.

7. Schwarzbier
This is their most adventerous offering in the middle of winter?

To me, the first four on the list might as well be the same beer. No brown ale, porter, stout, IPA, barleywine, English anything, Scottish anything... dang.

You might say, "well, it's in a mall". Ok, so is Four Peaks out in North Scottsdale... and THAT is an example of a great brewpub.

Back