Magnum Hops- Available? Substitutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I was looking for these for an Imperial Stout..anyone see any online? Could I replace with Warrier? I do not see any known replacements for these..ANyone use Warrier in an imperial Stout?

Thanks,

Jay

I've never used Warrior hops for any batch, but I have made a few Imperial Stouts and used high-alpha acid hops, such as Yakima, without any problems. I've read that for bittering, you can use just about any hop as long as it will reach your desired bittering levels. Where it matters is for flavor/aroma. When bittering, the flavor compounds of the hops will be boiled off because they are more volatile. Go with pretty much any high alpha hop and you will be fine.

For an imperial stout you can use just about any high alpha hop for bittering with little effect on the final product. The flavor and aroma component from a high alpha hop added at 60min is mostly overwhelmed by the strong roast and alcohol flavors in the stout. If you are using large amounts of a low alpha hop or using the hop for late additions this is no longer true.

More discerning palates than mine may say different.

Craig

BlindLemonLars said:
I just bought a pound of Magnum from hopsdirect.com. And a pound of Cascade. And a pound of Tettnanger. :D

So yeah, they are available.

Just got a pound of Magnum from them as well...LOL. Good all around bittering hop from what I can see.

Back