Amarillo Sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wortnz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for something swap out Amarillo with, this is my hop schedule (from the electric brewery), no one has Amarillo in stock in New Zealand (that I can find) at the moment.

Pale Ale hop schedule:

15g Centennial 20mins
15g Amarillo 20mins

30g Centennial 10mins
30g Amarillo 10mins

30g Centennial 0mins
30g Amarillo 0mins

30g Citra dry hop

Cheers in advance.

I would have thought that Nelson Sauvin would have been the perfect choice seeing as it should go well with Centennial and Citra, plus where you're located.

There really isn't anything that you can sub for Amarillo...its a very special and unique hop.

Not a sub but I'd bet southern cross would be good in that recipe.

I would have thought that Nelson Sauvin would have been the perfect choice seeing as it should go well with Centennial and Citra, plus where you're located.

I would second this. I'm guessing you're looking for american hops though, in which case I think cascade may give you close to what you're looking for, but nothing is really going to fill the gap like amarillo.

I would second this. I'm guessing you're looking for american hops though, in which case I think cascade may give you close to what you're looking for, but nothing is really going to fill the gap like amarillo.

+1. This is my Electric Pale Ale recipe I presume. I'd use Cascade if you don't have Amarillo but it won't be quite the same. I tihnk it'll still be very tasty beer however. Let us know how it turns out!

Kal

How about Ahtanum? I use it instead of Amarillo often. It's not the same but the hop character is similar. The alphas are lower, but for flavor and aroma I think it's pretty close.

Back