Clarifiers- Irish Moss Vs. Whirl Flock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
I tried using Irish moss in my first two batches which did not come out as clear as I would like. A friend of mine who used to brew recomended Whirl Flock. What do you all think of Whirl Flock? What is your experience with Irish Moss Vs. Whirl Flock?

Cheers:mug:

Never used irish moss - whirlfloc is a much more refined product. Some suggest more than 1 tablet, expecially if what's in the pot is > 5 gallons.
I use 2 tabs 15 minutes out, but I have about 8.50 gallons when I add it.

I was under the impression that whirlfloc was just powdered irish moss compressed into a tablet. They certainly look and smell identical to the irish moss tablets I also buy.

Brewer3401 said:
Never used irish moss - whirlfloc is a much more refined product. Some suggest more than 1 tablet, expecially if what's in the pot is > 5 gallons.
That's really overkill. 1/2 tablet in the last 10 mins is adequate for a 5 gal batch.

Lil' Sparky said:
That's really overkill. 1/2 tablet in the last 10 mins is adequate for a 5 gal batch.
I use a full tablet of irish moss in my 25L batches and I find that after you whirlpool it also helps to gum up the pellet hops sediment. I don't even need a strainer on the dip tube for my CFC.

irish moss tablets?

The irish moss I buy is just crushed flaked up seaweed. I always wondered when i read about powdered moss. Perhaps I should use more or cruch it in a mortar?

knights of Gambrinus said:
irish moss tablets?

The irish moss I buy is just crushed flaked up seaweed. I always wondered when i read about powdered moss. Perhaps I should use more or cruch it in a mortar?
The irish moss I buy is powdered and pressed into tablets. I crush the tablet in a mortar and mix it with a bit of hot water to rehydrate before I add to the boil.

I just checked my ingrediens that I bought last weekend, and one of the bags of extract was not properly sealed and leaked al over the inside of the box where I store my ingredients. I called my LHBS, and told them about what had happened. I was bummed because the LHBS is about an hour away from my house, and I wanted to get a jump on brewing early tomorrow. The guy who answered the call was very apologetic. He offered to deliver a new bag of extract to my house this afternoon. I took him up on the offer, and requested he bring me a few more ingredients including some Whirl Flock. He should be here in about an hour. I was on the edge about this store before he made this offer. Now, they have earned my patronage for quite some time!

For anyone in the Orange County California area I now highly recommend Stein Fillers for your home brewing needs!

I'll post back a reply once I have used the whirl flock tomorrow, and let you all know how it went.

Cheers!

Irish Moss is seaweed chopped and dried. Whirlfloc is a refined version of Irish Moss so you have more active ingredient (carrageenan). You should need less by weight of Whirlfloc than Irish Moss to get clarification, however, I don't know the ratio.

Dr Malt

Well I tried my LHBS's version of Whirl Flock, it's called Breack Bright. It seemed to work pretty well. I Brewed up a nut brown on Saturday and a Honey Wheat on Sunday. Both looked very clear when transfering to the fermentor. Now I just have to wait and see how they finish up.

Cheers:mug:

Brewer3401 said:

As Sparky said, that really is overkill. The directions say a half tab for 5 gallons.

Also, it sounds like you are adding it way too early. The tablets don't need to be rehydrated so adding it in the last 10 minutes is fine. You are actually lessening the impact of the Carrageenan by adding it any earlier than that.

Back