Mac & Jack Amber recipe needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamminis

Reaction score
I 'm looking for a decent Mac & Jack recipe. :confused: I absolutly love the stuff for some reason and want to brew something as similar as possible. Thanks ahead of time for the help.:tank:

I got this one from Bader Beer and Wine Supply down in Vancouver. I believe it was also posted in BYO.

Mac & Jack’s African Amber (5 gallon, extract with grains)

OG=1.060
FG=1.018
IBU’S = 38
Alcohol 5.5% by Volume

Ingredients

6.6 lbs. Muntons Light malt extract syrup
0.5 lbs. Muntons light dry malt extract
1.0 lb. Munich malt
0.5 lb. Crystal Malt 80L
0.5 lb. Carapils (dextrin) Malt
9.3 AAU Centennial hops (bittering hop) (1.0 oz of 9.3% alpha acid)
6.2 AAU Cascade hops (aroma hop) (.75 oz of 8.3% alpha acid)
4.1 AAU Cascade hops (dry hop – pellets work best) (0.5 oz of 8.3% alpha acid)
1 tsp Irish moss for 60 min
White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast or Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast
O.75 cup of corn sugar for priming.

Step by step

Steep crushed malts in 3 gallons of water at 150º for 30 minutes. Remove grains from wort, add malt syrup, malt powder, and bring to a boil. Add Centennial (bittering) hops, Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add aroma hops (Cascade) for the last 2 minutes of the boil.

When done boiling, strain out hops, add wort to 2 gallons cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons. Cool the wort to 80º, aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68º-70º, and ferment for 10 to 14 days. Add the 0.5 oz of Cascade pellets to dry hop your beer for about 5 –7 days, then bottle your beer and enjoy!

I made it, but it was my third beer ever and didn't really turn out as well as I would have liked. I have been meaning to go back and take another pass at it.

Good Luck!

I brewed the M&J Recipe out of BYO, in thier '150 Clone Brews' Recipe magazine. I'm pretty sure its the same recipe and frankly, I wasn't happy with it at all. No off flavors, just nothing like M&Js and not a very good beer overall. The 4 beers that I made afterwards using the SAME technique (since the M&J was my first time using my mash tun) have all been great, but that brew wasn't very good. Crappy part is that I brewed it for a friend's birthday.

If anyone has a different clone recipe, I'd probably try that other than this one again.

Mac & Jack's Amber
Another Northwest favorite recreated for us by customer Dave Frombach. This Amber is both malty and hoppy. Not bitter but well seasoned with Hallertau hops. I suggest dry hopping (adding the final ounce of Hallertau to the secondary fermenter or keg) for even more flavor.
7 lbs Light Malt Extract
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb British Crystal Malt 55L
3/4 lb Wheat Malt
1/4 lb Special B Malt
1/8 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Cascade 12 HBUs (Boiling)
1 oz Hallertau Hops (15 min)
1 oz Hallertau Hops (2 min)
Wyeast London ESB #1968 Ale Yeast
1 1/4 cup Dry malt extract (bottling)
Make a mash by adding the grains (Munich, Crystal, Wheat, Special B, and Chocolate malt) to 3 quarts of water and heat to 152º. Hold at 152º for one hour, then sparge(rinse) with 6 quarts of water at 170º to make 1 1/2 gals. of wort. Add the light malt extract to the 1 1/2 gals. of wort and bring to a boil. Add the 2 oz. of Cascade hops and boil for 45 mins. Add 1oz. of Hallertau hops and boil for 13 mins. Add 1 oz. of Hallertau hops and boil for 2 mins. Sparge the hops with cold water then add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add the yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Aerate well. Ferment at 70º for 10 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle or keg. For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket.

I forgot that I had this one on my 'puter and found it via Google over a year and a half ago. I've not used it, so go yer best.

I brewed the AG version of the BYO clone of this and just transferred it for dry hopping. I overshot my OG, it is suppose to be 1.055 I think, and I got 1.067 and tested when I transferred and had a FG of 1.016 which is lower than the recipe has too even with a higher OG. So anyways, what should be a 5.5%, is now a 6.7% :drunk:

Back