Adding Maltodextrin to Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laiced

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last two batches of beer have turned out fine except for a nonexistent head retention. This third batch is a Rogue Hazelnut Brown extract + specialty recipe, and I really want a decent, lasting head on it.

My LBS said I could experiment with adding maltodextrin to my priming sugar when boiling and preparing to bottle.

Has anyone else tried this yet? Will this work?

Maltodextrin can be good at improving head and mouthfeel. It's kind of thicker foam, and it also makes for a thicker beer. Carapils or other light crystal malts can help too.

A couple other things that can help:
1. Only wash your glasses with hot water, no soap and definitely no dishwasher with jet-dri.
2. What do you use as a fermenter? The reason that I ask is, the foam positive malt protiens that are largely responsible for head retention are also picked up in krausen formation. If you use an undersized fermenter and a blowoff tube, AND ROUTINELY HAVE SINIFICANT BLOWOFF, you are permanently removing those protiens and that can affect head retention. The effect may not be pronounced with all styles as hop compounds also contribute to head formation and retention, so highly hopped beers have a secondary source, but lightly hopped (especially lower gravity) beers this can be a major problem.

Oh, and yes, maltodex can help with head retention. It is nonfermentable, so adding it a bottling should work ok. When I have added it, I have added 8oz/5gal. For future you can add 1/2 to 1 lb of carapils to your mash or steeping grains for the same result.

Back