Questionable Fermenting Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanEmbry

Reaction score
I've got a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket sitting with apple cider vinegar (I made hard apple cider that got contaminated during aging). The liquid has been in there 8+ months, I was wondering if the fermenting bucket is a lost cause or will a bleach/vinegar mixture kill all the nasties? I'm going to start brewing beer and would rather not ruin a month or two of waiting due to a $20 bucket.

I sure as heck wouldn't use it. I wouldn't want anything that contained anything that can convert beer and wine into vinegar touching anymore wort, ever, no matter how much I think I could clean it. Plus I doubt you would get the vinegar aroma totally out of it.

Do the math cost of brew $25 - $60 dollars chance of infection or off flavor from bleach very high, cost of new bucket $20. Answers your question best.

Also fermentation buckets are only meant to be used as primaries HDPE absorb flavor the longer you sit it in there so the next batch you do will taste like what ever you had in there before. Hence you probably should not reuse it even if you did not have an infection, get glass for long secondaries. There are areas for leaks/nasties to get at your precious beer/beverage of choice.

Clem

Thanks, that is what I figured. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to throw it out. I'll find some other use for the bucket besides brewing, perhaps it will make for a nice upside down tomato planter.

Back