Lets send CRAIGTUBE some beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knocking Craigtube. I like the guy and I like his videos, and I'd drink a beer with him any day. But lets face it, we live in a hot pocket and tang world. People would much rather pop something in the microwave than spend several hours cooking an authentic dish. Likewise people would rather watch a 10 minute video series on kit brewing on YT than reading several books. In my case, his videos got me to read several books, because I didn't want to make beer the way you make tang. But his videos did spark my interest in brewing and hats off to him because of that :)

Not knocking Craigtube. I like the guy and I like his videos, and I'd drink a beer with him any day. But lets face it, we live in a hot pocket and tang world. People would much rather pop something in the microwave than spend several hours cooking an authentic dish. Likewise people would rather watch a 10 minute video series on kit brewing on YT than reading several books. In my case, his videos got me to read several books, because I didn't want to make beer the way you make tang. But his videos did spark my interest in brewing and hats off to him because of that :)

I'm not sure he'd disagree with you. He sort of makes it clear that if you want to move up to bigger and better go for it. He's really mostly there to show people some basic ways to get started and an easy way to make beer. :mug:

I'm not sure he'd disagree with you. He sort of makes it clear that if you want to move up to bigger and better go for it. He's really mostly there to show people some basic ways to get started and an easy way to make beer. :mug:

Yep and he's good at what he does. If I wasn't into craft beer and I was paying ontario prices for cheap stuff, I'd probably be doing what he's doing.

I'm with Revvy, It's time we leave the guy alone and stop acting like elitists because "we do it better'. Craigtube doesn't give 2 sh!ts about making craft beer. If he didn't live in Canada he'd likely live a perfectly happy life on Natty Light.
I wonder if there is a way to just block any conversation about the man from an Admin level. God knows everything you could possibly mention about him has already been mentioned around here.

Yeah. In the video of me and him, he mentions about how its a loop hole for the taxes. Were taxed heavily on alcohol, not coopers cans and yeast. Thats what got me looking for it. But I'm also interested in moving up some day.

Ironically, I'm probably the only person that found Craig Tube backwards. What I mean is I saw a sign in front of a local brew shop for a beer making starter kit for $75. And I walked into the shop, looked at the extract cans and said. "What do I do?" the store owner said one of his best customers shows people on YouTube, and wrote "CraigTube" on the back of his business card. And I found it that way . . . weird I know

Yeah. In the video of me and him, he mentions about how its a loop hole for the taxes. Were taxed heavily on alcohol, not coopers cans and yeast. Thats what got me looking for it. But I'm also interested in moving up some day.

Ironically, I'm probably the only person that found Craig Tube backwards. What I mean is I saw a sign in front of a local brew shop for a beer making starter kit for $75. And I walked into the shop, looked at the extract cans and said. "What do I do?" the store owner said one of his best customers shows people on YouTube, and wrote "CraigTube" on the back of his business card. And I found it that way . . . weird I know

BTW what store is it that you guys go to? I am pretty familiar with Hamilton and know all about Brew Time, but I have a feeling its not Brew Time.

Its called Complete Home Brewing on Fennell Ave. Its more of a wine shop than beer. But the guy just got some grains and hops in, so stayed tuned to Craig and watch him experiment.

You could also subscribe to my Channel and see what I'm always doing. My Channel is WeirdBeer

I take my hat off to Craig. When I first wanted to get into brewing, I didn't have a fookin' clue what to do. I figured the easiest way would probably be to start with extract, see if I really liked it and wanted to continue with it.

I searched youtube and Craig was the only guy I found who explained it clearly and simply. I went with his information for my first batch and then started building from there.

Additionally, Craig has a nice on-camera personality, so it's not painful to watch him do what he does (unlike Mr. Watch Out for the Yeast On My Arm man).

just looking at his site and looks like he's experimenting with some partial mash and reviewing some commercial beers.

quite enjoyable!

Whew! Lots of reading in this thread. I too searched YT for home brewing beer,& found craigtube. His videos showed me how easy it is to brew beer nowadays. Then I started subscribing to weirdbeer,peihombrewer,revolutionary brewer,steeljan,etc. I decided to buy the cooper's micro brew kit. It's one tough little FV. And I have my own "recombinant extract" theory. I understand where Craig is coming from. He's at the level he enjoys,Maybe add a lil sumpin sumpin now & then. But basically extract. I feel about the same way. Yeah,I like mixing plain DME with a cooper's can,add a couple kinds of hops,& turn it into something else. I'll even add steeping grains next.
But will I ever go AG? Probably not. There's so many different dry/liquid extracts from so many countries out there,not to mention hops,etc that I'm just having too much fun this way. I think that's what Craig feels,besides the cost savings. Combine the right ingredients even this way can produce some pretty good beer with a good process.
So we all have a process that works well for us,he has his. And I think it's great that he (&I) enjoy what we're doing. AG is not the end all of why we're all here. It's the hobby,the fun,the good beer,the fellowship we enjoy here,The knowledge...let's all try to live & let live. I wish he still excepted beer gifts. I'd like to send him some of our recombinant extract brews.

i hate craigtube, what a sad excuse for a homebrewer. felt the urge to watch him and right now his recipe mixes dry malt extract and liquid for some reason and has 21% crystal 40. it is just frustrating knowing he has been doing this for years now and is still basically using premade kits that taste like a low-medium quality macro

This is the kind of thing we've been debating her. You're not a bad brewer just because you don't do what someone else thinks is a better way. However you like to brew is the best for you. This site isn't here to teach you how to go AG as soon as humanly possible,or you'll suck forever in brewing hell.
I think it has a lot to do with peer pressure on here that folks go AG as soon as they can. Like they'll be frowned upon if they don't. Then they learn very quickly that it's just got more ways to f'up your beer. Any kind of brewing takes skill & Knowledge to get a great final product.
Like I've said before,don't blame the brew,blame the brewer. Craig is a good,down to earth kind of guy. He enjoys his level of brewing,videos,etc. I identify with him myself. He's the reason I'm here now.
So if commercial micro brewers can make & sell extract beers that are really good,what's wrong with a guy like any one of us trying to do the same? Good beer is good beer,who gives a rat's a$$ how it was made?

i hate craigtube, what a sad excuse for a homebrewer. felt the urge to watch him and right now his recipe mixes dry malt extract and liquid for some reason and has 21% crystal 40. it is just frustrating knowing he has been doing this for years now and is still basically using premade kits that taste like a low-medium quality macro

Craig's happy with what he's doing. If you've followed him at all, or even read the posts in this thread, you would know that the reason he does it is to save costs on the ultra expensive Canadian beer.

Just because he doesn't move on with his homebrewing techniques doesn't mean he's a sad excuse.

Homebrewing is about sharing the joy, not tearing down someone you disagree with. I respect him for his do it yourself nature and taking matters into his own hands with his booze.

Craig's happy with what he's doing. If you've followed him at all, or even read the posts in this thread, you would know that the reason he does it is to save costs on the ultra expensive Canadian beer.

Just because he doesn't move on with his homebrewing techniques doesn't mean he's a sad excuse.

Homebrewing is about sharing the joy, not tearing down someone you disagree with. I respect him for his do it yourself nature and taking matters into his own hands with his booze.

+1,000,000 to what you and unionrdr just said. Craig bashing is so old and tiring. He's happy with what he's doing. And evidently there's a couple folks on here who have tasted his beer, and it tastes like......

Beer.

(Which is all that matters.)

Thanks revvy. I guess we had to try to drive the point home about a good,average Joe sort that just wanted to spread the love about home brewing. That's why I'm here. Not just to learn more,which is great by the way. But to give something back to the noobs coming in behind me the way you & others helped me. I think that's also part of where Craig's head is at.

Thanks revvy. I guess we had to try to drive the point home about a good,average Joe sort that just wanted to spread the love about home brewing. That's why I'm here. Not just to learn more,which is great by the way. But to give something back to the noobs coming in behind me the way you & others helped me. I think that's also part of where Craig's head is at.

The funny thing is about THIS old thread. When it was started, it was the first thread that didn't totally trash Craig. It wasn't as mean as some of the other ones. Definitely not the same attitude that fredthecat has. It was like finally folks were looking at Craig with a level of maturity and not the "superiority" of the new, elitist, brewer zealot that thinks there's only one way to make beer (and Craig's way is not it.)

This is a HOBBY, it's about having fun...at the level that works best for you. Some folks love spending hours doing a triple decoction mashi with a side of cereal mashing, and water chemistry additions, SOME have fun making beer by just openning a can.....And some, like CRAIG, don't really even see this as a hobby, as much as a means to an end. He's in it to make a cheaper, yet still tasty, alternative to the lcbo and high beer prices. And I think his videos were really geared to folks like him, and not necessarily folks who want more from the hobby. But the nature of the interwebz is that, folks looking to enter into it as a hobby discovered the videos.

A lot of folks have used it as a stepping stone, which is great. A lot of folks also stay at that level to make cheap beer, which is just as great.

A wise man once said, "Never bash another man's brewery."

The way I see it, there are kids starving everyday, some of our friends could die any minute in Afghanistan and Irag, so who cares how Craig makes HIS beer.

Here here!:mug: Well said. Or like my 9th grade math teacher made a small poster of,above the chalkboard;do your own thing,but don't stop me from doing mine! 'Nuff said.

Back