Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Im sure this has been asked many times before but Ive had a quick look and didnt find anything, didnt really know what to search for though :eek:

Will my wort boil easier with a higher gravity? As in if I add my extracts will I find it easier to reach an acceptable boil then I would with 1.000 plain water? I have a bit of trouble getting there and wondered how this effects the heat of the liquid.

Cheers
:mug:

Higher gravities will take more energy to reach a boil. So to answer your question directly, "no".

I *believe* a 1.040 gravity wort will take 4% more energy than pure water to reach boiling point. I may be oversimplifying some assumptions to make that 4% statement.

Scott

The boiling point of wort goes up with increasing concentration of sugars, as Scott says. An 80 gravity wort will boil about two degrees F higher than pure water, according to this website - http://www.sugartech.co.za/bpe/index.php - This is probably not enough to make a difference to the way you're boiling wort. Sounds like your heat input is marginal. Are you boiling on a stove? What volume of wort are you boiling? Getting a higher output burner or boiling a smaller volume should help more than changing the gravity of the wort you are boiling.

Back