Ithaca FLOWER POWER!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I would really love to make a clone of this fantastic IPA made by Ithaca Brewing Co. If you have ever had it you know it is very strong in bitterness and hop flavor as well as alcohol content. Looking at their website they list the following as their ingredients and their details about the brew:

Elegantly traditional and rich in its hop character, this India Pale Ale is thirst-quenching and soul-satisfying. Each sip delivers a bounty of herbal and floral hop character, balanced by the fruity signature of our house yeast. Cheers!

Malt: 2-Row, Munich, Honey malt
Hops: Simcoe, Palisades, Cascade

I haven't done an All Grain Brew...not ready just yet...but have done partial mash. I was hoping I could get some advice as how you would utilize the malts and supplement DME into the recipe and what you would use as a hop schedule. I'm looking for a 5 gallon batch and understand I won't make an exact copy, but my friends have enjoied some of my previous brews and have requested I brew up some Flower Power to knock their shoes off...:fro:

I was thinking something like this...But I can be way off so please give me advise.

Grain:
1.0 lb 2-row
8 oz Munich
4 oz Honey malt

Extract:
5.0lbs Light DME

Hops:
1.0oz Simcoe
1.0oz Palisades
2.0oz Cascade

I was thinking adding in 3lbs of DME prior to the boil, and then the remaining 2lbs at 15 mins to flameout.

Hop Schedule:
0.50oz Simcoe at 60 min
0.50oz Simcoe at 45 min
0.25oz Palisades at 30 min
0.75oz Palisades at 15 min
1.0oz Cascade at Flameout
1.0oz Cascade Dry Hop 7-10 days

Yeast: ??? Looking for something that brings out the fruity characteristics of this brew. Maybe Wyeast Irish Ale??? Feedback would be appreciated!!! I might be adding way too much Cascade, not enough DME, too much grain, pick it apart I don't mind. It would be my first try at cloning so I am not sure how much to add of everything. Thanks!!! :mug:

I went to there brewery over the summer, I know they use Sorachi Ace in the flower power. It was my favorite and I brought a six pack home with me

Ah maybe a little secret they left out on the website. Never used it but I see it adds a lemony aroma. Maybe adding 0.5 oz in the dry hop or at flameout will give it that true Flower Power flavor.:fro:

Yes, they said they dry hop it from what I remember, keep us posted, if it comes out well this is something I would be interested in making.

Did they say how long they dry hop it? Also would you change any aspects to my recipe? Want to make sure I get close enough to it...maybe extra light DME would be better, but is 5lbs enough?

So I looked up Brewmasters Warehouse recipe brew builder and if I add another pound of DME the alcohol comes out to 7.0%. Ithaca has theirs at 8 but adding another looked like it would mess up a few things. I think 7 is plenty. I will give this a go in a week or two so I will give feedback as to how it comes out.

Hey!
I just sampled this beer last week and thought it was AMAZING!
We dropped by our local HQBS for a tasting, not planning on getting anything, but this was just so good we got a 6er. Immmediately I decided to try my hand at cloning this one!!!
Irlandese, I'm curious how your clone came out?
Were you able to capture that amazing piney-citrusy hop aroma?
This is the info they list on their website:
IBUs:75
ABV:7.5%
Malt:2-Row, Honey malt
Hops:Columbus, Cascade, Ahtanum
Dry hop:Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial

I'm an all grain brewer, but relatively new to brewing...ive never really done much cloning either, but I have to attempt to make something like this.

I'm thinking to use about 14# of UK 2 row and 1# of victory or maris otter or 20lb malt
I'm not at all sure about hop schedule.
Any suggestions?

I'm not even sure I can get the Ahtanum hops they mention, so may substittue for cascade. I'm pretty sure I may have most of the others or can get them in some form.

Encouraged and inspired by this brew!!!

Back