2009 Dechutes Jubelale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving this year's edition of Jubelale. Probably my favorite thus far, at least that I've experienced.

Filled a growler with it at the Portland pub last weekend, all gone within days. So I just picked up a 24 pack at the local Costco and am well into it, as well!

I GOT MINE!!! I GOT MINE!!!

I was about to break down and buy a case at Costco when I found 12-packs at Safeway for 12.50 and I'm drinking one as I type this. Bliss. :)

Went to two grocery stores in town and still neither one had Jubelale but both still had tons of Twilight Summer Ale in stock. It seems the local distributor has a backlog of the summer seasonal and isn't giving out the winter until that's done! Sucks! Glad I found some yesterday but I don't want to have to drive to get it next time.

Montanaandy said:
The local Costco used to carry it every Fall but not this year. This must be where our supply went :)

Finally got my hands on some at Costco. Chilling as I type this.

What was everyone mashing at for this recipe? I'm going to be doing this here in the next few hours and was thinking 153 for 60 mins.

What was everyone mashing at for this recipe? I'm going to be doing this here in the next few hours and was thinking 153 for 60 mins.

Deschutes does not give out its mashing schedule/temperatures. The recipe has a fairly wide range on the gravities, so I would recommend plugging in your preferred target OG into your brewing software, and then tweaking the mash temp in the software until it gives you the expected FG you are looking for. Make sure you have the correct attenuation numbers entered for the yeast as well.

Original gravity: 1.062-1.069
Final gravity: 1.017-1.022

I used this thread to formulate my jubelale clone recipe this year. I'm a little worried about getting too crazy with the IBUs, though.... shooting for about 50 sound right? Also, how much should I dry hop? A half oz of each Goldings and Tettnang?

Lastly, I'm thinking of adding a tincture of rum, vanilla bean, and nutmeg at bottling. A little eggnog theme.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Here's my recipe:

3 gallon batch

Mash, single infusion @ 153F

American 2-Row 5.75 lb (80%)
Crystal 120L 14.0 oz (12%)
Crystal 80L 6.0 oz (5%)
Carapils 1.5 oz( 1 %)
Roasted Barley 0.75 oz (0 %)

Hop Schedule:

60min: 0.33 oz Willamette (6.5%AA), Chinook (11%AA), and Cascade (6.8%AA)
30min: 0.25oz Tettnang (4.8%AA)
5 min: 0.25 oz Tettnang (4.8%AA)
0 min: 0.5 oz U.S. Golding (4.8%AA)

Dry hop with Tettnang and Golding.

Ferment with Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Brewing a straight-up 5-gallon batch of this today with a few changes:

1) adding 1lb Thomas Fawcett Amber because I really need to use it up
2) Didn't have Tettnanger, so Fuggles instead
3) Using WLP007 because I've had bad experiences with Ringwood

Looks pretty dark in the hoses, though Brewers Friend pegs it at 26 SRM (Morrey).

Does anyone have tasting notes from their clones? The recent posts in the thread are pretty light on any kind of results...

I just brewed my last week, so I'll let you know how it comes out!

@dcbw what sort of bad experiences did you have with the ringwood yeast? I just tasted it after about a week in the primary and it's pretty tasty - fruity notes from the yeast.

I haven't dry-hopped yet, still haven't decided on amounts.

Just tasted my Jubelale clone yesterday and it's pretty delicious! I did dry hop, a quarter oz each of Tett and Goldings (3 gallon batch). The yeast character is strong with this one, heavy notes of dried fruit and a bit of warming spices. Next time, I'll up the hop additions (especially the late ones), since the hop character is a bit lost. I do like it, though.

Just a warning note for anyone trying to use the Ringwood Ale yeast... it threw out tons of diacetyl in my Jubelale Clone - suuuuuper buttery.

Got my first sixer of the year in the beer fridge right now! Gonna crack open Jubelale 2014 #1 after dinner!

yay jubelale is back in stores again! I'm a jubelale lover as well, and I picked myself up some as well. 3 weeks ago I brewed your recipe and I am just about to rack to my bottling bucket. I made a few slight adjustments to the recipe to take into account the changes that Jimmy from deschutes recommended in humann_brewing's post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.15
Anticipated OG: 1.072
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain
1.30 lbs. Crystal 130L-150L Great Britain
0.80 lbs. Crystal 80L America
3.2 oz. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
1.2 oz. Roasted Barley America

Hops:
1.00 oz. Galena 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger 30 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger 5 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 0 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 0 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Dry Hop

Yeast:
WLP002 or wyeast 1968

Mash at 152 F for 60 mins.
Primary for 3 weeks at 65 degrees
Secondary (dry hop) for 3 days
Bottle condition or keg for 4 months

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the bottom I made up a fermentation schedule, does that seem about right? I've already done the 3 week primary and my fg is 1.017. so i guess it will be a little dryer. I've dry hopped for 3 days so far, should I dry hop longer? First time dry hopping! I much prefer malty taste over hoppy which is why I so like this beer and why this is my first time dry hopping! Also, my hops are directly in the fermenter without a bag. Maybe I'll rack to my bottling bucket and cold crash it to reduce hop sediment? Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Back