White ring in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
Okay, last sunday I racked my red ale from primary to secondary after being in the primary for a week. I checked the gravity and it was 1.016 right where it was supposed to be. My beersmith report estimated 1.015.

I am using the secondary to help clear the beer. I noticed this morning a white ring on top of the beer. I use glass carboys. The ring is approximately 1 in wide with a diameter of about 9 to 10 inches. Imagine like a life saver.

Is this created by a little secondary fermentation? I did not have a chance to check the gravity this morning. I hope it is not an infection. Once I moved the carboy the ring disolved a little.

I removed the air lock and did not notice any off smells. I don't think I have run into this before.

Any ideas?

I am at work now. It is really just a thin off white ring. I am hoping Krausen...

Good. That is what I was thinking as well. What would an infection look like?

Does it look like this?? I am sure it is just a little yeast activity...no worries.

395005218209_0_SM.jpg

Reddog68 - I dont think your photo uploaded. I am curious to see it.

Thanks

Okay, I think it was a false alarm. Got home from work, and the white ring is gone! It looked a little like a very small amount of fermentation, but since I have never seen an infection, I feared the worst...

Back