Adding additional yeast to a Dubbel during secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecshultz

Reaction score
Hey all. So I am currently fermenting my first Belgian Dubbel (yay!). When I was picking up the supplies at my LHBS the (generally very knowledgeable) guy that works there said that I should re-pitch a small amount of yeast when I transfer to secondary. He said like a 4th of a smack pack. However, I did some research and apparently the internet is silent on the issue. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, or done this in the past. I would love any help you could give me. Thanks all.

Haven't brewed a Dubbel yet, but I was under the impression you wanted fermentation to be over with before moving to secondary, so not sure of the purpose of adding additional yeast, unless Dubbel's have a knack for killing off yeast somehow. Secondary fermentation I think is a bit of a misnomer in itself, it's just a secondary vessel to aid in clearing and flavor additions, as far as I knew. I can't imagine it will do anything bad to it, but it sounds like you'd be wasting a smack pack.

Those were kind of my thoughts. I just took my first hydrometer reading and it is right where I want it to be. So I will probably not be adding more yeast unless anyone else has experience or information that says otherwise.

That's one of my favorite styles. I have never pitched twice while making it. If you areate well. (shaking, not rocking, the bucket for 40 seconds works for me) there should be no need for a second pitch.

Back